Tuesday, October 11, 2005

All Grown Up

When I was young, I was a slob. I couldn't clean my room of my life depended on it. My teachers all called me "Miss Messy" because my desk was constantly overflowing with crap. Ya'll don't even want to know how messy I got. To me, cleaning was something that "grown-ups" did.
So, a few years later, I was on my own, with a baby, and living in my own apartment. It was bad. Real bad. And I didn't care. In fact, I almost liked it. I was very reclusive and didn't want people in my home, so keeping it a pig sty was a great way of keeping visitors away. I had issues. I know. I've worked them out.
Then, I met hubby. We moved in together. I tried to be clean. I really did. But, the clean and tidy brain cells never seemed to develop in my head. There was always a dirty kitchen. There was always 18 piles of laundry. There was always dirty dishes and crap strewn about. This continued through an apartment, 2 military houses and now our newest house. Each time we have moved, I have become marginally better at staying neat and tidy. At least to the point where the health department wouldn't kick us out. But it has always been a battle.
I have always been in awe of people who can keep a house clean. Not sparkling. Just tidy. Nothing on the floor. Things put away. Dishes cleaned and in the cupboard. I know, all you tidy people are thinking "How can you not keep things clean???" Well, let me tell you, it can be a real struggle for some of us. And I have always viewed people who can accomplish it as "real grown-ups".
I am going to be 30 next month. (yikes) Somehow, I don't know how, I have finally, and quite suddenly, "grown up." I don't know what happened. One day, I cleaned my house like I occasionally do, expecting it to be disgusting again in a few days. It wouldn't take long for the clothes to pile up on bathroom floors and everyone's crap to be left sitting around. But a funny thing happened. I woke up the next morning....and I made my bed. Made my bed. I don't think I ever made my bed before, unless company was coming. During the day, I cleaned the kitchen twice. Then, later that night while watching TV....I folded laundry. And put it away. And not just sitting on top of dressers or chairs in the bedrooms. Actually put away. In drawers and on hangers. It was all very strange and not like me at all. But, it was just a one-day boredom thing, I was sure.
The next morning, I made my bed again. Huh. Funny. Then I went in the bathroom, did all my morning stuff, then cleaned it all up. I picked up all the towels off the floor. I put my brush back in the drawer. I put my toothbrush and toothpaste away. It was kinda odd. On my way downstairs, I saw my shoes on the floor. I had the most insane urge to put them in the closet. I hate when my shoes are in the closet. But, I put them there anyway. Then, just because I had a few minutes to spare, I vaccumed the floors. Seriously, it was all getting weird.
This was almost 2 weeks ago. And it's all still neat and tidy. I'm still making my bed and putting all the shoes away. I fold laundry and iron every evening (hubby about passed out when I told him I was ironing). Then I put it all away. It's like some switch in my brain was flicked on. Or aliens took over. Whatever, I don't care, it works. It only took almost 30 years, but I think I am finally all growed up.

And in Crochet News:
Not much. I'm busy cleaning. But I am still working on a few things. This was just a quickie scarf and hat made with leftover green and purple acrylics. Well, not quite quickie, since there were a lot of ends to hide, but whatever.....it's cute.

4 Comments:

Blogger Tracey Rose said...

Wow, I didn't think there was anyone out there who could relate with the struggles of being neat and clean. I've struggled all my life. Maybe there's some kind of cosmic alignment b/c I've started keeping clean too. But not as clean as I'd like to be. Very cute scarf and hat. I hope we both get to stay clean for a while :)

7:48 PM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

I totally understand what you're saaying. My whole life my family and friends have called me "Messy Nessie". I hope that this urge to tidy and declutter hits me soon.

12:51 AM  
Blogger ladylinoleum said...

Good for you! I'm totally anal, but my husband is completely opposite. He's really difficult for me to deal with. However, I've lightened up a lot so I look at that as a positive. Now, I guess I'm not as anal, but still pretty into being neat.

8:20 PM  
Blogger Kari said...

flylady.net

It's great even if you don't use all the suggestions it is good for encouragement.
I still struggling but getting there.

11:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home