Thursday, November 10, 2005

And Snow it Begins.....

I apologize for the bad pun. I can't help it. I was born this way. But, it's true. The snow has started here.



I know some of ya'll have already seen some of the white. This is actually a bit later in the year for snow than what I am used to. But the snow here is different. It's not heavier or colder or whiter. It's constant. ALL WINTER LONG. Most places get random dumps of snow with the odd thaw throughout winter. Not here. Nope. It doesn't stop till spring. We have a tree. It's a cute little pine tree. He wasn't much more than a pine cone when we moved here 2 years ago. Cute as a button, I tell ya. We can see him from the window on the side of our house. See:


I've noticed, while wintering in this house previously, that our little tree can be a great reference point to determine how much snow there is in our yard. So, this year, he has a job to do. Everyone, please welcome Reference Tree.


I'll be showing Reference Tree occasionally throughout the season, in order to better my bitching, moaning and/or complaining about the snow. It's a visual aid, you see. So, since the Apocalypse in snow form is nearly upon us, I have sped up my little knitting fingers to finish the hat I am making. It's at the part where I start decreases. (Pattern Here)


Oh my God, I'm so scared. I won't mess up. I won't mess up. I won't mess up.......I hope. What's the rush, you ask? Why, thank you for asking. We are going to Ottawa (Canada's capitol, ya know) tomorrow to witness the National Ceremony of Remembrance at the war memorial. Maybe go say hi to the unknown soldier. It's the year of the veteran, you know. And they deserve the 2 hour drive and the 3 hours standing in the cold and rainy snow. And they deserve so very much more. And OH, now I'm gonna cry again. Thinking of our war heros always makes me cry. I'm just a wreck at these ceremonies. Especially since my own hubby went off and blew things up and saved us from some bad guys. And especially since knowing actual people my own actual age that have lost someone they loved to war. They all make me so damn proud.
So anyway, I want my kid to be super cute for the veterans. I have also crocheted her a poppy pin, since I am scared of the regular ones poking a hole in her lung with that pin they use. The pattern is in the post below. Please read the poem, if nothing else, and don't forget to have a 2 minute moment of silence tomorrow at 11:00 AM.

5 Comments:

Blogger Marissa said...

Oh yes, he had a wonderful Irish accent! Not a bad idea at the time, it was lots of fun! However, when I saw his car at ANOTHER neighbor's house a coupla days later...THAT's when it became a bad idea!

PS - I love your blog! Cute design! I am now one of your blog stalkers! Love the hat - might make one for myself!

2:11 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

take a deep breath and remain calm. you will do just fine on the hat.

we've had unseasonably warm weather here in alabama. I wouldn't mind a little snow...but not as high as reference tree!

4:48 PM  
Blogger Bec of the Ladies Lounge said...

HI Tara - thanks for dropping by our blog. Kim's the one with the new baby, my younger two are now three years old so I can sit back and enjoy that newborn nostalgia without doing the work!
It's the opposite season here so it will be fun to come back and check your measuring tree and think of all that snow. Also, the crochet patterns - yes, I am a closet crocheter...

12:06 AM  
Blogger scrapbookmom said...

The hat will be just as cute as the scrarf :) Just in time for that white stuff falling. We'll have it here soon.

10:11 PM  
Blogger *Crochet Mom* said...

I remember our first year there and it snowed on Halloween!!! i should have taken that as the 1st sigh it was going to be a brutal winter, and BOY WAS IT EVER!...
I so miss it there....

10:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home