Thursday, November 24, 2005

Happy Gobble Gobble Day

I know nobody is reading this, at least not unless I comment whore myself over at Michele's. And I will. All you Americans are having your wacky, crazy, holiday on a thursday, Thanksgiving. Well, la di da. I'm not jelous. Really. I really want sloppy joes for dinner.
And I know that if you are reading this, you should probably stop hiding from your family, or trying to get out of washing the dishes. Go. Enjoy your holiday.
Run, Turkeys, Run!
No, really, I have a nice safe spot for ya'll.....in my oven. I'm ever so jelous of my US neighbors, since they get to eat turkey today. This would make a great turkey day here. I know. I know. We already had our Thanksgiving in October. I have a secret though. And ya can't tell, since it's about my in-laws. Ready?..... They're french.
I know. I KNOW. There's nothing wrong with the french. I married one, afterall. It's the food. It's good. It tastes great. But....it's all meat. ALL THE DISHES ARE MADE OF MEAT. A typical Thanksgiving meal at my inlaws is:
~turkey, of course, which is almost always made of turkey meat
~stuffing.....which is made of ground meat, usually pork
~tortiere....that would be the minced meat pie
~ragoƻt....yup, meat stew
~and sometimes mashed yams
Like I said. It's good. It's.just.all.meat. And I grew up in Alberta, in cow country. I love meat. Vegetarian is a dirty word in my house. But I need the turkey dinner I grew up with. Bread stuffing. Cranberry sauce from a can (sorry Canny Cranny Granny). Candied carrots. Mashed potatoes and gravy. Crescent rolls from a can. Not croissants. They're french.
I love my in-laws, but I'm making Christmas dinner this year. And if they don't show up, then more english turkey for me.

So, happy Thanksgivng to the American, and to the bored Canadians like me, read the post before this one. It's a very important public service message. And if you live elsewhere...well....happy Thursday to you, too.

21 Comments:

Anonymous JustSue said...

Loved your post...and I agree, bring on the cranberry!! Here via Michele!

11:36 a.m.  
Blogger craziequeen said...

oops - that was me....forgot my cat had been blogging and I didn't think to change the profile....

whored over here from Michele's place :-)

Even though I am a Brit in England, I have posted my Thanksgiving post on my blog.
btw - why is the Canadian Thanksgiving in October?

cq

11:47 a.m.  
Blogger panthergirl said...

I'm reading... still just relaxing, and then will cook a tiny t-day dinner for my son and me. We have SNOW today! Happy to stay indoors, fireplace roaring, laptop going...

Thanks for stopping by!

11:54 a.m.  
Blogger Tara said...

CQ,
It used to be a fixed date in November, but since the 30's it's been the 2nd Monday in October. Heaven forbid we get a day off in the middle of the week. They'll do that with Christmas, next, lol.
But really, I think it was celebrated on Armistice Day before, now called Remembrance Day (Nov.11th), and they decided that the war vets should have their own day, so they changed it. We actually learn more about US Thanksgiving in school here, so I hope I got that right, lol.
How does your cat blog?

11:56 a.m.  
Blogger Lisa said...

Hi there! I'm here via Michele's today. I'm one of those Yanks celebrating Thanksgiving today, but I'm thinking a sloppy joe actually sounds really good.

Especially if I don't have to eat it with my parents... haha

12:43 p.m.  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

Thanks for the good thougts today...Off to have my Turkey soon...I love your description of The French Turkey Dinner!!! (lol)

12:59 p.m.  
Blogger Juggling Mother said...

Hi, michele sent me too:-)

I wouldn't care if TG was in Oct or Nov (or both?), but it would be nice to squeeze in another holiday here - it might stop the desperate fighting betwen the two sides of th family (who mostly detest each other) as to who sees us on Christmas day!

BTW, Turkey is an American export. Before we went over there and nicked all the good stuff, goose, swan or duck would have been traditional English Christmas dinner.

1:08 p.m.  
Anonymous Surcie said...

I prefer harlot to whore.

Ewww. Meat stuffing??

(via Michelle.)

1:32 p.m.  
Anonymous mar said...

Michele sent me your way because I am not celebrating Thanksgiving. At all. And we live in Spain, it is a normal working day here! Have a nice evening.

1:37 p.m.  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

Ho Again, Tara..
Michele sent me this time and Happy She Did!!!

2:40 p.m.  
Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

I live in England, but say Happy Thanksgiving everybody!

3:09 p.m.  
Anonymous Cheeks said...

Hi, I'm visiting from Michele's.

3:16 p.m.  
Blogger YellowRose said...

I'm reading...I'm also hiding from the in-laws...LOL

Great post! Michele sent me!

3:51 p.m.  
Blogger Suse said...

Hello Michele sent me.

We don't celebrate the American Thanksgiving here in Australia either, so I'm finding all this online turkey talk a bit overwhelming today.

And happy belated birthday!

6:10 p.m.  
Anonymous Nikki-ann said...

I love turkey and cranberry myself! Yummm! Had a turkey & cranberry bap for lunch. Nothing to do with Thanksgiving though (I'm Welsh/British), I just love turkey. Can't wait until Christmas dinner!

(Here from Michelle's!)

6:53 p.m.  
Blogger Jana said...

"sloppy joe, slop a slopay joe yeah" now i cant get adam sandler's voice out of my head. did you ever see SNL when he did the lunch lady song with Chris Farley? if not, you wont get the sloppy joe reference. if you have limewire, download it! hehehehheeee.

tara, one thing for sure is if there wasnt the french, there would be no Poutine and i would be a very unhappy girl.

7:06 p.m.  
Blogger margalit said...

We have leftovers. Want to come have a turkey sandwich with cranberry sauce, bread stuffing, and gravy?

Michele sent me.

11:13 p.m.  
Blogger Barbara said...

I could easily go for another Thanksgiving myself! Thanks for stopping by! :0)

11:14 p.m.  
Blogger Peri said...

hi,
saw you on Michele's blogroll, caught my eye because i like crochet. :)

10:29 p.m.  
Blogger noricum said...

I would have read it on Thursday, but it didn't show up in my bloglines until today. ;)

Of course, I'm a lonely Canadian trapped down in the US.

1:29 p.m.  
Blogger ladylinoleum said...

Canny Cranny Granny forgives you...

2:56 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home