Monday, November 28, 2005

Stupid, Stupid, Stupid

That's me. Stupid. Ok, not stupid. Crazy, maybe. Why? I read a book. I usually read stupid little cheap romance books...ya know, to escape reality. But I ran out. And I couldn't re-read another one. Again. I usually do. But I just wasn't in the mood. So I rummaged (I love that word, rummage) in a box of books in my closet. Maybe I would find something I didn't read before. I get a lot of my books from a local hardware store. People drop off their old books there and they sell them to make money for the SPCA. I support the SPCA, so I go there. Well, they got too many books. So, they started selling them cheap. As in 'fill up a plastic grocery bag as full as you can for 2 bucks' cheap. Cool, yes? Yes, it is.

I finally found a book I hadn't yet read. I don't even remember buying it. I should have walked away from it. But noooOOOooo. I HAD to read it. At night. Late at night. In a snowstorm.
It was The Amityville Horror.
Yup. Stupid.
Read it? It's a bit scary. A lot scary. I knew it, too. While I was reading, I kept telling myself, "Put the damn book down, you stupid, stupid woman!" Unfortunately, not only am I stupid, I'm also stubborn. I HAVE to finish a book that I start. So I kept reading. All about spooky imaginary friends and doors being opened and flies on the windows and cold spots and whiffs of perfume and secret rooms and I freaked myself OUT! Because those things have happened in THIS house.
Ok, fine, so my house doesn't smell of human waste (it doesn't, I swear), and I haven't noticed any scary little pigs running around, and the doors are just opened, not ripped off the hinges, and I'm pretty sure there wasn't human sacrifices in the hidden room (which is not in the basement, but above my living room, and it's not painted red), and I don't know for sure, but I'm almost positive that a previous owner hasn't killed his entire family. Yet.
But, still. It was spooky. No, not spooky, that's too Halloween-y. It was terrifying. At first. But the more I read about it, the more I realized that:
1) My house may be haunted, but I can be reasonably sure that nothing is evil...excpet maybe my 3 year old, but that remains to be seen.
and
2) The Lutz's were chased out of their house in 28 days. We've been here almost 3 years. Maybe they're just lazy ghosts, but there hasn't been a huge effort to boot us out.
So, I'm feeling much better about the haunting thing, now. I even told my husband all of the details. I expected him to scoff and poke fun. Nope. Now he's scared. Which I kinda like. Twisted, yes? But, really, I've been spooked for 3 years. Now it's his turn. I'm OK. As long as Jodie the Pig doesn't come looking for a place to crash. And as long as they leave my yarn alone.

Hear that, Ghosties?! Stay away from my yarn!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Suzanne said...

Oh, I so enjoyed your post today! I tend to go through life thinking I'm the only one so stupid to ____. (fill in the blank!)

Many a night I've sat in the bed with all the lights on and a Rottie on either side saying, "Step away from the *BooK*!"

Sigh, I never do and remain jumpy for days afterwards!

Suzanne - no ghosts here - just a 20# cat named Wascol . . . . going thump in the night.

1:45 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Nothing like a good book to make you afraid of your own home! I read And Then There Were None while I was camping. Baaaaaaad idea. I ended up having a horrible time.

6:14 PM  
Blogger *Crochet Mom* said...

I keep meaning to ask you...do you live on the way out of town (past wal*mart) as if you were going towards Ottawa?
I had seen the pictures you posted of your house and i looks familure (i lived in pembroke in 2003-4, my husband worked at the new ro but was layed off when they were "down-sizeing" the station)...
There were so many beautiful homes that were school's or churches at one point...I was in awe over them. (we lived close to the foodliner in a big yellow 2 story house on a corner..LMAO)

7:26 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

We're across the highway, but on the western side of town. It's not on a main road. It's pretty cool, but tonight we have a leaky roof, and what with the ghosts and all, we may us buy a new house next time, lol.

10:32 PM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

I've read that - veryy scary. I also do not recommend reading Stephen King's The Stand during cold and flu season. My imagination tends to get the better of me at times.

4:27 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

Very entertaining post! I know I saw the latest version of the movie and was spooked for a couple of days...

6:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home