Thursday, January 19, 2006

Antiques?

Click for Big Picture

Do these ponchos count as antiques? I think that picture was taken about a billion years ago. I guess that surpasses antique and heads right into artifact, doesn't it?

I'm the one 'pretending' to be tallest, by the way. I was never the tallest. But I am the oldest.

Those ponchos were made by my granny, Mary Jane. She was a crochet and knit whiz. Actually, it's her hooks that I use most of the time. I'm pretty sure I channel her when I crochet.

She used to make us all the cutest things. I can remember the most adorable navy blue zip-up sweaters, each with a kitten on the back. And, smart granny that she was, she gave each kitten a different colored bow around it's neck. To avoid fights, ya know. Not that we ever fought. NoooOOooo.

I want to try and recreate that poncho. I was sure I remembered pom-poms on them, though. Does anyone see pom-poms in that photo? Sorry for the poor quality photo. It's a digital picture of a computer screen of a scanned slide from the early 80's. I couldn't get my Print Screen funtion to work.

Since we're strolling down memory lane, check this out:

That's my grandma, Mary Jane, on the left.

No, you didn't read that wrong. Both of my grandmothers were named Mary Jane. I love that name. They also grew up in the same town. They used to tell us about the schoolyard taunt that the kids would yell at them:

What's your name?

Mary Jane.

Where do you live?

Down the lane.

What's your number?

Cucumber.

What do you drink?

Bottled ink.

What do you eat?

Pig's feet.

Ha ha ha ha. It's not funny, but we thought it was a riot when we were kids.

Unfortunately, all of my grandparents have been gone for a long time. It actually makes me appreciate that I got knocked up so young. My daughters will, hopefully, enjoy their grandparents for more years than I did.

Of course, they also have a lot MORE grandparents. What with every single one of them getting divorced and remarried. Sigh. Not like the old days, is it?

But I digress. I was really just showing ya'll the poncho I plan to make. For my youngest daughter and neice. What do you think? The pink looks like SC or HDC increased at the front and back points. Maybe 4 rows. I think the white is one row of 1TRC, Ch1 and then a few rows of hdc. I'll keep track of what I do and try to write up a pattern for it.

Has anyone else ever recreated garments from their past?

P.S. Don't forget to check out my tenant's blog, Life According to Princess Grace!

P.P.S. I'm having issues with getting all of my text to be the right size in this post. Sorry if you need your reading glasses.

7 Comments:

Blogger Killired said...

hi there! michele sent me! those ponchos are so cute!!!!!!

going to read more of you now!!!! i am new to blogging... just started in december!

10:55 AM  
Blogger Lia said...

Hi, Tara!

Michele sent me!

11:41 AM  
Blogger utenzi said...

Given all you had to do to get that photo online, Tara, it looks pretty good. You're cute as a button but your sister in the front has a pretty sour expression on her face. You all look to be very close in age. Your poor parents!

Mary Jane was a popular name back then, Tara,as you know 'cause of your grandmothers. Maybe due to Mary Pickford. Like all the Debbie's in my generation stemming from Debbie Reynolds and those Tammy movies of the 1960s.

12:08 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

LOL, we're pretty close in age. We're triplets. I'm about 5 minutes older.

12:12 PM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

I like the ponchos and can't wait to see what you come up with for your daughter & niece.
I crochet because of my grandmother as well. Actually, my great grandmother. She taught me how when I was about 7 years old I think.

1:01 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

I love the picture of your two grandmothers. The two boys in the background checking out the two Mary Janes are funny. I remember that rhyme!

1:19 PM  
Anonymous Jodie said...

My Grandmother taught me to crochet as well. I have a baby blanket she made me, but no reason to try and recreated it. I had two Grandma Shirley's growing up. Thanks for the post down memory lane.

4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home