Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Coffee, anyone?

I'm drinking bucketfulls fo coffee this morning. Anyone else want some? I was up kinda late. Didn't get as drunk as I planned. I started getting a headache. It was all the stress and tension of waiting for the election results.

Don't worry, I won't discuss politics. But it was a very exciting night. I did a lot of yelling at my TV, and a lot of cheering, too.

I'm over my maternal hysterics of yesterday. Well. Mostly. I'm still upset. But I have a plan. It may not be a great plan, but it's that or run away and join the circus. It's probably quieter in the circus.

I know I almost always talk about my 3 year old. Because, quite frankly, she dominates my time. But I also have a 12 year old. Well, she'll be twelve on friday.

Yes, I just turned 30 in November.

I'll wait a minute while you do the math.....

...Yes, I got knocked up at 17. So, while it may seem like I am a novice at this mothering thing, I'm in my last year before being a mother to a teenager.

The difference with my oldest is that, for the most part, she's been really really good. Better than most kids her age. It's easy to forget that, here at home, when she ignores me and spaces out on the TV and Gameboy and acts snotty to her little sister. But in the real world, held up next to other 12 year old girls, she's an angel.

Sometimes I need to actually stand her up next to other 12 year girls to remember that.

She's always been good. She was a good baby. She was a good toddler. She was never any trouble. I could take her anywhere. I never felt like I was 'tied down', because I wasn't. She went to movies and restaurants with me. She always behaved.

The first time she ever talked back to me, she was 8 years old. I can remember it clearly, because it had never happened before. My 3 year old has told me off at least 6 times so far today.

I spent 8 years saying to people "I don't know what the big deal is....kids are easy."

Then I had the brat. Who started life out as colicky. I should have known then what I was in for.

So, you see, it's hard to tell other people how angry she makes me. Because in the outside world, she is soooo good. But at home....she needs to help me. She needs to want to help me. Because she's gotten selfish and lazy. Thinking I will do everything for her. Nu-uh. Not for a 12 year old.

So, plan B will commence as of now. For the big brat, less mothering. She can do more for herself. For the little brat, more structure. I'll let ya'll know how it's working.

In the meantime, I just may spend today relaxing and maybe even crochet a housewarming gift for the new residents of 24 Sussex Dr.

3 Comments:

Blogger *Crochet Mom* said...

my "baby" (zac) is going to be 15 on May.01.
My middle child (heather) is going to be 3 ?Feb. o5
and my youngest son (john) is going to be 1 March.01!
ya yah, had my oldest young and had my youngest old LMAO.

kid are mazing little creatures arn't they? LOL.
my boys are the quiet ones...my daughter *slaps forhead*, well, he is very demanding and quite the princess! LOL

11:34 AM  
Blogger Sue said...

I have an 11 yo daughter too, and a 15 yo son. My 'stop doing that' nagging when they were young has evolved into 'start doing something!' now that they're older! Ack! I'm such a shrew!
Well, responsibility is a good thing. I'm a firm believe in chores and structure. Sounds like you've got a plan. ;)

2:50 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

My 4 year old is trying and she started out colicky, too. However, I have a "Mad" Madeleine. http://piercingeyes.blogspot.com/
If you look through her blog site, notice all of the pictures where she kind of looks "mad"...yep, that is her personality. She is either happy or mad. My husband and I lay in bed wondering if the baby with the angelic face will one day do harm to the world, as right now she could go either way.

5:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home