Thursday, January 26, 2006

Granny Up!

So...uh. Hi. How ya'll doin'?

Not really all that much to talk about, but I didn't want ya'll to worry. Just in case you were. Worrying, I mean. Maybe think I was lying in a ditch by the side of the road somewhere.

No? Ok, then.

I've been in bed for the most part of the last 2 days, fighting off a migraine. Nasty little buggers. They grab on and just won't let go.

But I've been crocheting, too. It's a mystery project. Mystery to you, I mean. I know what it is. I hope. It's made with granny squares. I've decided to make more things with granny squares. Are they not the most perfectly tacky things in the world?

I say tacky in a good way. I love tacky. I got in a fight with some chick at a flea market once. Well, not a real fight. She would have beat my ass with both hands behind her back. Anyway. I saw a display with old vintage brooches and earings, and I commented to my husband how I looove tacky jewelry. So this lady comments to her friend that I was very rude, calling this man's wares tacky right in front of him. My general reply was:

1. I don't remember asking your opinion.
2. Tacky is a compliment...did you miss the "I loooove" part?
3. I'm pretty sure he KNOWS his stuff is tacky. He's selling it at a damn flea market, not an antique shop!

But I digress. I love tacky granny squares. Let's granny sqaure everything! Tables and beds and lamps and clothes and socks and......ok, fine. Maybe not everything. And I really don't think I would have the attention span to actually finish a blanket or tablecloth.

But I have a project now. Guess who it's for? ME! I'm making myself something for once.

So, I gotta go. I'm busy. Making granny squares.

6 Comments:

Blogger Sue said...

I'm a fool for granny squares, just love'm. Don't know why, just do! Good luck with your project and I hope you're feeling better soon. :)

11:36 AM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

I love granny squares as well. There was an episode of Sex and the City (season 5 I think) where Sarah Jessica Parkers character wore a sweater made up of nothing but granny squares - they looked like they were about 3 or 4 inch squares. Its on my list of items to attempt to make for myself without a pattern

11:49 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I LOVE tacky granny squares. My very own beloved granny made me an entire tacky afgan made of tacky granny squares, and it is beautiful!! I looove it!!

11:19 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

In my blog I refer to granny squares as "the grand old lady of crochet".

Just discovered your crochet and chat blog and will come visit you again.

3:25 PM  
Blogger ladylinoleum said...

One of my good friends always says that granny squares are the building blocks of fashion. Is that not the best?

2:08 PM  
Blogger Mama Kelly said...

love love LOVE granny squares -- big ones small ones plain ones fancy ones

theres so much you can DO with them

and so what if theyre "tacky" i think theyre cute!!!

1:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home