Sunday, January 01, 2006

Happy New Year, Yall!

Well. That's it. Two thousand and five. Was it good for you?

Two thousand and five was the year of the kitchen reno, in my house, anyway. It was pretty much all consuming. There were a few other personal notes of interest: hubby's six week bomb course, me quitting my job, a beautiful summer weekend in Maine, my sister getting sick and no doctor that can tell her what it is, my oldest girl surpassing me in height, my youngest girl surpassing me in smartass-i-ness, etc, etc, etc.

Now, if ya'll have been paying attention, I'm not up with all the standard resolutions (
RSTLN and E). But I do have a few non-standards. At least for me they are. (And if you haven't been paying attention to my blog and had to click on the link to read back, then may I suggest a resolution for you? Hmmm?)

This year, 2006, I resolve to:

1. Paint the house. The previous owner has a scary and bizarre fascination with faux finishes. And stencilling. Not that there isn't a place for those things. But not on every wall. And baseboard. And not in my house. Ever. I love color. I love choosing colors. But I love nice flat walls that are all one color. HEAR THAT, LADY THAT USED TO LIVE HERE? ONE COLOR! AND NO DRAGGING OR SPONGING FOR THE LOVE OF PETE!

2. Make money. I'm not sure how. I probably won't be getting a real job any time soon. Hubby has too many upcoming trips away, so I would, again, be too unreliable in a job. But I will make money somehow. You'll see. Or at least you will when I tell you. I love making money.


3. Dress like a grown up. I'm in my thirties, now. I should stop wearing jeans and t-shirts. Not all the time. But maybe at least once a week. A skirt, or some dress pants. Maybe even own more that one pair of shoes at a time. Gasp.

4. Same as number three, but with make-up. It wasn't really my thing in high school, like all the other girls, so wearing makeup has been a process for me. But I think I'm OK at it now. I watch What Not to Wear. They have good tips.

5. Find out everyone's birthday and send a card. OK. Not everyone. For instance, since nobody I know in real life reads this blog (I hope), if you are reading this, I am most likely not sending you a birthday card. But I suppose anything is possible. You could always tell me your birthday and wait patiently for the mailman. Dreams can come true.

6. Drink more coffee. Lot's of it. I know. Bad resolution. But with friends, I mean. I just need to go out more. Be more social. Stop hermitizing myself.

7. Buy more yarn. Again, bad resolution, but one I can definately keep!

I'm sure I will break every one of them by Tuesday, but isn't that what resolutions are for?

Have a happy and healthy 2006 everyone!

8 Comments:

Blogger Plumkrazzee said...

Ewwwwwwww, faux finishes. I feel for ya! Happy New Year, Michele sent me!

11:06 AM  
Blogger ribbiticus said...

hey, there's nothing wrong with jeans and a shirt! great list all around, though.

michele sent me to greet you a happy new year! :)

11:24 AM  
Anonymous Tandy said...

If ever in doubt about putting on makeup properly, spend the money and go to a dept store(or MaryKay party?) and have them show you. I learned so much from just one visit, and there really are some important things to know, once you have to deal with wrinkles, dark circles (other signs of being a grownup).LOL

And I totally agree with faux finishes. There is a proper place and time for them, but every room is not it. Love your humor and your blog.

1:48 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

What a great list! This forty-something year old still wears jeans, t-shirts, and no make-up, nothing wrong with that! ;) With age comes the not caring what others think but if you want to go for glam, why not?!
Note: the lady that used to live here had a penchant for flowery wallpaper borders, ugh! What a scraping festival that was! Good luck with your resolutions! :)

2:12 PM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

Happy New Year, Tara! Good luck with all of your resolutions, I look forward to hearing about all of the yarn you'll be purchasing.

10:38 PM  
Blogger carrie said...

that's it, i hereby resolve to buy more yarn, too!

9:04 PM  
Blogger utenzi said...

Tara, the only reason not to wear jeans and a t-shirt is to wear jeans and a sweatshirt.

I like some faux finishes but don't have any in my house. I did try it in one room--and only 2 weeks later painted over with a solid color. I like the look but only in someone else's house.

Good luck with the money thing, Tara, I need to do something along those lines also. And have a happy and healthy 2006!

12:25 AM  
Anonymous Bettacwcojt said...

Hi Tara, yes we "are" reading your blog and here is by birth date. January 18th. Ha Ha Ha. Couldn't help myself. Jeans and tees, gosh wait till you reach the 40's then you graduate to flannel PJ bottoms and what ever you pull out of your drawer in the morning. Evenings you will find me and my cuz sitting in front of the Tv either knitting, crocheting or anything that has to do with crafts. Have to do something during those boring commercials. My resolution is to Walk my Irish setter more that way she (me) can lose some weight feel better. Have to combat that cabin fever. Take care and Happy new year. Betta

5:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home