Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Return of the Conquering Hero

Hubby just got home last night from a trip to the US. It was a work trip. Army stuff. He has to go occasionally and pretty much just sit around and wait for other army stuff to finish. So he shops. For stuff we can't get in Canada. Isn't that great?

For the big brat, he got Cookie Crisp and Peanut Butter Cookie Crisp cereals. For the little brat he got Trix cereal.

I have no idea why we can't get those in Canada. It's like Campbell's Chicken and Stars soup. We get the regular chicken noodle. And every single other kind of Campbell's Soup. But not the Chicken and Stars. I know. We poor, poor Canadians are to be pitied. Because we have no Chicken and Stars. Hey, how many times could I say Chicken and Stars before ya'll stop reading? Chicken and Stars. Chicken and Stars.

Moving on....

At Christmas time, I went to every Walmart and toy store within a 3 hour drive of my house, looking for a specific toy for Little Brat. A Little Tykes Animal Flashlight. Nowhere. And from what info I gathered, Walmarts in Canada decided to discontinue that item two weeks before Christmas. But it was what she asked Santa for! I was so screwed. She even mentioned it on Christmas morning, after all her gifts were open. Not rudely, just wondering, in that cute and pathetic way kids have, why Santa didn't love her enough to bring her what she asked him for. Sigh.



So, guess who walks in the door with one last night. Daddy. Daddy the hero. Daddy who hasn't had to feed her and clothe her and play My Little Effing Ponies with her for a full week, walks in the door with the only present she ever truly wanted. Sigh.

But....


He also got me yarn.

Yep. You read that right.
The man who HATES yarn, bought me a big pile of it. See:


It's all Caron Simply soft, in a variety of colors. I'm not sure what to do with it, so if anyone has any ideas for Caron Simply Soft, let me know.

So, I can forgive him. But now he's raised the bar. I want yarn every time he goes away, now. Sucker.

He also came home just in time to criticize my latest crochet project (he said the color was wrong and that it looked obscene. But I don't know what he meant by obscene). But he was tired. It was a long day of driving. Usually he knows better than to pick apart my work. It's not safe to do that.


It's a pajama bag. Does anyone else remember pajama bags? Aparently hubby doesn't. And apparently he was too cranky and surly to hear all about pajama bags.


I made this for Little Brat (I don't know why, since nothing will measure up to her damn flashlight). It's a strawberry pajama bag. To put her pajamas in and place on her bed. Hey, how many times can I say pajamas before ya'll stop reading? You're at your limit now, aren't you?


Well, the good news is, I wrote the pattern for the, uh, PJ bag. I will type it up sometime this week. So ya'll can make cute (or possible obscene?) Jammie bags for your little brats. Perhaps while eating Chicken and Stars.

12 Comments:

Blogger web_loafer said...

I bookmarked your site here, and will revisit when I have more time (have to go to work right now).
My wife of 20+ years is a world class chocheter, but won't have a thing to do with the web.
So, I am tossing a few things around upstairs.
I may create a blog for my wife, I mean I only have 6 or 7 blogs now, what's one more.
She works with thread, not yarn, but she knows how to do the baby blanket stuff with yarn, it's just that she is into the thread stuff, and let me say this.
I am a truck driver, and yet I see her skill, and creativity in thread.
I don't let my buddies at work know I love doilies, runners and such.
And I have no crocheted arm rests for my 18 wheeler.
I'll check back later when I have more time.

12:14 p.m.  
Blogger Vanessa said...

you can't get cookie crisp? OR chicken & stars? Thats just plain tragic!
I do adore the PJ bag though, and yes. I DO remember them.

12:47 p.m.  
Blogger Marisa said...

Found you at Michele's...glad I did.

My FIL bought the same Little Tykes flashlight for my lil' one, plus the dinosaur one for my little guy. I think he bought them at Costco. Anyhow, glad that your husband was able to make her day.

And the US should pity us for the things we don't have up here. I wish that Target would buy Zellers!

But hey, we have Oh Henry chocolate bars.

3:05 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, so you can't get Chicken and Stars. But you guys *can* get Tylenol with Codeine over the counter!!!

4:24 p.m.  
Blogger jocelyn said...

I love the pajama bag! AND it does have the correct colors! Very nice.
BTW, my husband was in the military for 21 years and he always played the hero to my 3 daughters when he came home. Soemtimes it didn't seem fair, but then I started to look at the positive side of it. I was glad because it always made them feel like little princesses. When daddy makes them feel like a princess, hopefully when they grow up, they will choose a mate that makes them feel like a princess too! At least that is the way it is supposed to work.....

4:25 p.m.  
Blogger Anna said...

I like to make things with simply soft because it's as inexpensive as the scratchy red heart acrylic but it's nice and soft. I'm working on a scarf at the moment with double stranded simply soft and it's turning out thick and soft.

5:49 p.m.  
Blogger Sue said...

As always, Tara, very entertaining! I can relate to your kid stories on all levels having successfully come out the other side...*phew*. Now I'm dealing with teenage angst and attitude which is MUCH easier! My husband admits he likes the hero role and won't touch disciplining the 'subversives' with a 10 ft pole.

I'm making an afghan with my Caron simply soft but clearly, you've got more imagination than I.

P.S. No Trix?! Oh dear!

7:00 p.m.  
Blogger Tiffany said...

I just don't know what my childhood would have been like without Cookie Crisp!

I look forward to seeing your pj bag! :)

11:25 p.m.  
Blogger valbee said...

You can't get Trix?? But Trix is for kids! I didn't realize that they discriminated against Canadian kids. I call for a boycott!

One thing you guys can get that we can't is those Coffee Crisp candy bars that Nestle makes. A friend from Toronto once brought me some and I was instantly addicted.

7:44 a.m.  
Blogger Trish said...

No chicken and stars, well that bites. That flashlight is pretty cool :O)

Pajama bags! Gosh that brings back memories! I always had one on my bed, never a strawberry bag though :O)
Love it!

9:46 a.m.  
Blogger Grace said...

I use that yarn when I knit baby blankets or booties.

It works fabulous!

10:07 a.m.  
Blogger Jana said...

oh, my daughter went nutso over those friggin flashlights too. couldnt find one either.......love the jammie bag! oh and the simply soft.......i just got a whole wack of it in Bellingham WA and its only 1.97 each. can you believe it tara???? all the yarn was about 2 bucks a ball cheaper. so much for free trade eh? chelle at luv2crochet.com has some great halter top patterns using the simply soft. i made a bunch of them last summer. nice yarn!

1:37 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home