Monday, January 23, 2006

That's IT!

I quit. I'm finished. Stick a fork in me, I'm done. I give up. I surrender. The white flag is waving. I'm jumping ship. I have been defeated.

All things shorter than me that live in this house.....have won.

Yes, today has been another day of struggling with kids and animals. But it hasn't been just today. This has been building for a while. They have been very determined in their group effort to bludgeon my sanity into the ground. And then stomp on it. And then spit on it.

Two kids, a dog and a cat...against me. I never had a chance.

So, they win. They can do whatever the hell they want from now on. Because I quit.

I'm selling the whole bunch off to the very next band of Gypsies that pass by.

Wanna know what finally did me in? The straw that broke this camel's back? This:


It used to be a matched set. It looked like this:


I don't care about the broken stuff. I have lots of stuff. I care about the little brat and the cat getting together to play on the end table, and completely ignoring me when I said 'get off'.

I really don't drink often, but I am drinking tonight. I was going to anyway. It's election night. I always drink on election night. I've already been to the booze store. Got myself some good old Snowcreek Berry Boone's wine. And some Piat D'or for hubby (I hope I got the right one. It sounds like 'pee on a door' to my non-french ears when he says it, and there is Piat D'or and Pinot Noir at the store, so it could be either one, really).

Now I know what my mother meant when she would hysterically yell "YOU KIDS ARE DRIVING ME TO DRINK!" Funny how she's still drinking. Were we as hard on her sanity as my kids are on mine?

Triplets? Hard on sanity?

Naaaaah.

To be quite frank, if I didn't have to go pick hubby up from work, I would have been drunk an hour ago.

Sigh.

The brat is upstairs in her room. She is staying there for a bit, so I can clean up the glass. Well, fine, so I already cleaned it up. She doesn't need to know that yet.

Where the hell are those Gypsies?



8 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

I'm so glad to hear that other moms throw in the towel too! Mine are teens so we're beyond the broken things and have moved quickly into the "I have an attitude and won't listen to you" stage.

Alcohol = bliss.

Michele sent me. Hang in there!

3:15 PM  
Blogger valbee said...

I remember those days, when my twins were not yet in school. The day the school district told me I needed to wait a year before starting them in kindergarten because they weren't ready? I went home and cried. I am not kidding.

But it got better. (Although, since they're boys, stuff still gets broken.) Of course, those problems are replaced with other problems, but for the most part your sanity returns. :) Hang in there. And yeah, the alcohol can be a blessing sometimes.

4:33 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

Oh my, Tara!! My mother told me that when my brother and I were kids, she wanted to throw us out the attic window and then tell everyone we were playing and just simply fell. If that's not a prime example of the ugly side of materal insticts, I don't know what is. I know a had a few moments like that with my own kids! Well, hang in there, they do grow up in spite of all the nonsense. My mantra was "in 6 months everything will be different". Enjoy election night! :)

5:20 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

The gypsies don't come around anymore. Tell me if this one sounds reasonable: 'well, officer, they were playing with the crazy glue and must have gotten it on their fingers and jumped around...that's how they got crazy glued to the ceiling...and their mouths glued shut? Thumbsuckers'

5:44 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

LOL, maybe it's the cheap wine, but you guys are definatley cheering me up!

6:32 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Oh, yes. Been there, done that. My 3 kids were just born as stairsteps. People used to call my boys "Hell on Wheels and the Trailer." Now they're in college and have their own places. AHhh, the glory of saying THIS IS YOUR PROBLEM. DEAL WITH IT. But I know those days are way in the future. Oh, and the daughter who is still at home seems to think that I have a neon sign above my head flashing WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!!!
My advice--each stage of mothering is equally difficult. Enjoy the best of each stage and try to forget the worst...wine will help.
Hang in there, kiddo!

6:52 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

oh mannnn..... I can SO relate. I tell my kids all the time I'm selling them to the gypsies. Of course they're old enough now that they just laugh at me.

My brother, when his kids were babies, used to say to them in a really nice sing-song voice, "Daddy drinks because you cry!!!" It was hysterical. We also convinced him he might want to stop before they were old enough to understand what he was saying... lol

10:00 PM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

I can SO relate to what you're going through.
Although I have no children of my own, I had temporary custody of my younger cousins last year.
I went from no children to 3. Ages 14, 13, and 5.
They drove me batty.
While at times their antics were quite humorous, for the main part they made me want to drink. And pull my hair out. And drink.

10:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home