Thursday, February 02, 2006

Full Circle

Remember when you were a kid (yes you do, think real hard). And remember when you started to realize that all the grown ups around you used to be kids, too. Which meant, of course, that they had a past. Before you. And suddenly history, especially parental history, was fascinating. So, you would quiz your parents about what clothes they wore and how much they could buy for a quarter. Then your parents would tell you all kinds of stories about when they got their first car or TV. And how all the girls HAD to wear skirts to school. Don't forget the stories about how they ALL walked to school, barefoot in a blizzard, uphill.....both ways.

My sisters and I did that, too. We grilled my mom for days. Until one day, when one of us asked how she dressed in the twenties. You know, like flapper dresses and stuff. To my mom, who is in her fifties now.

"Just how old do you kids think I AM?!?!"
Yup. That's about the time that she started turning twenty-nine on her birthdays. All of them.
My oldest, who just turned twelve, has now become fascinated with the past. When she sees an old show on TV, she HAS to know what decade it was from. Which is fine. I don't mind that. Until it gets personal.
I don't mind telling her some stuff. Like how cell phones were bigger than her arm and our computer was a Commador 64. And how TVs had knobs on them to change the channel. "But how do they fit all the numbers on a little knob, Mom?" "Well, we only had 13 channels." "What?!?!" Oh, the horror of it all. I tell her how there was no such thing as Gameboys, and cordless phones, and CD players, and digital cameras.
Jeez. What the hell did we do for fun in the 80's? No wonder we dressed so stupid.
But then, last night, she asked me what I wore in the 60's.
"Just how the hell old do you think I AM?!?!"
So, that's full circle then, isn't it? I'm officially my mother. Is it too late to say I'm 29?
I can't wait till my grandkids start this crap with her.

8 Comments:

Blogger Jana said...

holy hell tara! i remember doing that to my mom too.........yikes. one thing we did alot of before all those gadgets we have now is socialize. people dont seem to socialize as much, especially the kids i know. play so much video games! i am officially 29 too....forever!!!!

10:48 AM  
Anonymous Mike said...

Well, all you young'uns can feel free to ask me about the 40s, 50s or 60s. Don't ask about the 30s though, I was only 1 at the end of them. Don't ask me about the 80s or 90s either. I dopn't remember recent stuff, just old stuff.

10:55 AM  
Blogger Sue said...

I couldn't even picture my mother's childhood. She grew up on a farm in MO and I grew up in suburban NY! They used to wring the necks of chickens, for pete's sake! I was happily eating spaghetti-O's and pop tarts.
My kids aren't even interested in what my childhood was like. Whenever I say stuff like, "Radios used to be enormous!" They look at me like I'm a mastadon.
Growing up in NY, there was plenty of snow! My kids are growing up in CA without snow. Once when my sons was young and complaining about the "cold" while walking to school one morning...well, you know where this is going...I said it...I said, don't complain, I used to walk to school in the snow! Ack!! It happens to even the best of us! <:O

11:41 AM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

My cousin and I were talking about this over the weekend - how we didn't have all of the technology that kids do now. Looking back we're glad that we didn't have all of that because it forced us to be creative. We would raid my grandfathers garage for tools and supplies to build elaborate forts in the back yard, play dress up while at our great grandparents and create storylines that would carry over from week to week.
Of course, we do wish that we had had digital cameras to capture all of this with.

I have young parents as well, I'm 29 (will be 30 this summer), my mother will be 45 next month. and my father just turned 47. My father is funny because he keeps pushing me to make him some grandchildren but at the same time says that I'm not allowed to get any older because he does not want to admit that he has a 30 year old child. I've asked him to explain how he can't be old enough to have a 30 year old child but would be willing to admit to being old enough to have grandchildren. He refuses to answer that question.

12:29 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

We used to build forts too. My daughter can't believe we didn't have DVDs when I was a kid in the 70s & 80s. We couldn't watch movies at home?! OMG how did we survive?! Well, we played outside. Outside?! Yeah, you know, it's all that stuff you walk into when you step out the front door? Fresh air...trees...sky...seriously, this is pretty much verbatim from a conversation we had the other day.

When I told her we didn't have cell phones or a computer either she asked me if it was because there was no electricity back then. LOL

12:55 PM  
Blogger valbee said...

Ahh... childhood. It was great fun. The neighbors next door had this huge pine tree with branches that touched the ground, but you could go underneath them and stand up in the area around the trunk...

Many a secret club met in that cozy little spot.

Did anyone here ever play "Statues?" I've been trying desperately to remember the rules of that game and I can't. All I can remember are Tag, Freeze Tag and Cartoon Tag, Mother May I, Red Light Green Light and Simon Says.

Even though my kids have grown up with all of the technology, they did still find playing outside to be a good time. They'd get together with all the kids in the neighborhood (and we had a lot - that might have been why it was so fun) to play games of Capture The Flag and another game they all made up... I can't remember what they called it, though.

Good times... good times... :)

11:33 AM  
Anonymous cassie-b said...

At least there weren't any questions about the Ark.

11:44 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

LOL! My kids once asked my what I wore in the '60. I just laughed and said "diapers

2:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home