Friday, March 10, 2006

Drywallowing in Self Pity

Oh, the ideas I have!

And you're gonna have to wait to see them all!

Because I have a bathroom to drywall!

With a migraine!

But really, I have some great new ideas. Some are for patterns. A few easy ones I will probably post as freebies. A couple of complicated ones, too. We'll see how they work out. Also, some new cartoon ideas. I should write them all down before my hyper-creative mood winds down. Oh, and I am trying to contact a few knit mags, to see if anyone wants some corny yarn cartoons. Besides ya'll, of course.


But for now, I am drywalling. With a migraine.

Thank Folgers for my coffee.

I love drywalling. Have you ever done it? It's a little like sculpting. Only the opposite. It's de-sculpting. No, it's anti-sculpting.

I was always good at whatever medium I choose to create art....except sculpting. The best attempt I made was when I was about 8 and made a bust of Alfred E. Newman out of clay, then painted him gold. It actually sat on the speaker in my parents' formal living room for years. Which was a bit weird, because they didn't actually support me as an artist.

But that's all a part of the cartooning history I'll tell ya'll about someday.

So, drywalling is fun. Mud, sand, mud, sand. And so on. And when you get a 100 year old house like ours, where there is no such thing as a straight wall, there is a LOT of blending to do. Blending panels of drywall that don't match up. At all.

In case you're ever in the modd to do soem drywalling yourself, here are a few tips (not to be confused with actual proffesional advice):

Tip #1: Wear the pretty mask over your nose and mouth. It's not just for looking sexy. Drywall dust kills people. It gets into your lungs and hardens and KILLS you. So for real, wear the damn mask.

Tip #2: Moisturize! Moisturize! Moisturize! Dudes.....that drywall dust sucks the moisture out of every nook and cranny on your body. Your eyes, your nose, your mouth, etc. Yes, even with the mask on. Imagine if you DIDN'T wear it. And you HAIR. It will look AWFUL. You know on movies and episodes of CSI, when they find a dried up body in a closet or the trunk of a car, and even if they were young and pretty once, they are now all shrivelled up and dry as dust? Ya. That's pretty much what you can feel your body doing while you sand drywall. Use a LOT of moisturizer afterwards (not before, you'll just feel like you've been turned into a statue) and BUCKETS of conditioner.

Tip #3: You know all those drywalling tools in the hardware store? There are TONS of gadgets to help you out. I use a) a spatula, b) a hand sander and c) a ladder. That's it. I don't use special sanders or corner trowels or that crazy big giant metal square on the end of a stick. Your fingers and the palms of your hands are the best tool there is. Fingers get the mud into the corners and tight spaces. Yes, it's rounded a little, but nothing that can't be sanded into a corner. And your palm can feel all of the spots you missed when sanding. Don't assume it's good because it looks good. Any unsanded parts can look good...until you paint. Then they will show up. So feel the wall. Caress it. Please don't fondle it. That's just weird.

Tip #4: You're gonna get dirty. REAL dirty. It's called drywall mud, for Folger's sake. Embrace it. Embrace your dirtiness. And don't sit on the couch until after you shower and change.

Tip #5: Don't drywall with a migraine. Please. Somebody cut my head off. That would be great.

8 Comments:

Blogger Lucy said...

Maybe you need to cut out the Folgers and get some good strong Colombian DARK Roast...mmm...mmm...excellent stuff...it will make you drywall the whole neighborhood!!!

9:23 AM  
Blogger Sue said...

My dad bought me Mad Magazine all the time when I was a kid. Some sense of humor my Dad had, huh? My favorite AEN quote: What, me worry?
Have you seen this: http://www.mindspring.com/~mike.wicks/AEBush.html

Hmm...they kinda look alike, don't they?
Good luck drywalling, it's an art, not a process! Sounds like you already know that! :)

12:01 PM  
Blogger srp said...

Here from Michele.
Love the cartoon, reminds me of my mom and her mom. I smock and sew but don't knit or crochet.
Good luck on that drywalling.

2:37 PM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

Drywalling sounds VERY Dangerous to the lungs and other parts of your body!! LOL Good Advice and practical, too!

I'm here from Michele this A.M.
Good Luck!!!

2:43 PM  
Blogger Chrixean said...

I wrote a shoutout for you on my site. hope you enjoy your stay at my stables! Have a great weekend ;-)

11:09 PM  
Blogger kontan said...

thanks for the tips!!!

came over from Chrixean's

12:45 AM  
Blogger Viamarie said...

Lovely template. Chrixean whisphered to me about your blog.

Have a great weekend!

1:30 AM  
Blogger beth said...

My husband and I finished our basements and, thinking we were Mr & Mrs DIY, did it all ourselves. All that's left to say is this: Drywalling is evil (migraine or no).

I'm glad there are people out there who enjoy it - next time we do a big project, I will hire them and save myself the pain. But you're really right about the moisturizing. And the mask. Hope it gets done soon!

9:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home