Thursday, March 23, 2006

Just when ya'll thought I was back in blogland, there I go vanishing again. I have reasons. I've been sick. The flu. Or maybe malaria. I don't know. But it darn near killed me. This is my first time out of bed in two days.

I have some bad news, too. I'm giving up coffee.

It's OK. Calm down. The world didn't just spin off it's axis.

And it (hopefully) won't be forever. It's really the caffiene part of the coffee I am giving up. Same with my Diet Coke. I'm hoping that caffiene and/or artificial sweetener is the culprit in causing my migraines. Because that would be much nicer than a brain tumor.

I'll give it a week with no caffiene and see what happens. Maybe I should change the name here. Decaf Crochet? Ya, that sucks. I won't give it up compleltey, but maybe just one or two coffees a week. Sigh.

The flu is actually coming in handy. I could barely drink water for two days, so I didn't really miss the coffee much. But I do now.

At least I already quit smoking a few years ago.

I'm going to be taking it easy today, doing a bit of visiting (computer allowing).

Is it just me, or was this the most boring post ever? I think the caffiene made me more interesting. I'll just have to switch to vodka. THEN we'll have a real party!

9 Comments:

Blogger SheCrochets said...

You are very brave. Just beware the lack-of-coffee-enduced-headaches... which I get if I don't get my daily 3 cups (so sad, I know)...

8:51 a.m.  
Blogger Vanessa said...

ditto on the above. I always get a headache if I don't get my morning coffee - or at least some form of caffeine.

2:10 p.m.  
Blogger Sue said...

I had to give up caffiene years ago and it's okay. I drink only decaf now and it's best that I do, trust me!
Good luck with the transition, I'm glad you're feeling better. :)

4:40 p.m.  
Blogger Becky in Iowa :O) said...

Ditto on the warning. The first couple of days are gonna be worse cause the lack of caffeine will give you a headache too. I would give it 2 weeks. It may take that long to really get over the lack of caffeine.

I've got my fingers crossed that it goes smoothly for you and the caffeine is the problem to begin with.

5:10 p.m.  
Blogger kontan said...

yeah, beware of the caffeine headaches. better go with a few weeks to get over the withdrawal and then see how it goes. trying to go decaf. but it's state testing time and just not the time to quit (always a reason)

glad you are in recovery from the yuck!

10:28 p.m.  
Anonymous Valbee said...

Malaria? In Canada? Has the equator shifted? How come it's still cold here in Ohio, then?

Seriously, I hope you're feeling better soon. I've managed to avoid two colds in the past two weeks (I love that Airborne stuff), but as you know this has been a bad winter around my house. So, hang in there and good luck on the caffeine quitting. But as everyone else has said, be careful with the transition. You might want to start by making your coffee half regular and half decaf for a couple weeks... and gradually wean yourself off completely.

11:41 p.m.  
Blogger Mikol said...

If you are going to see what withdrawing from coffee does, go cold turkey for at least a couple of weeks. I gave up a while back, for the same reasons (and because I was not sleeping), but have gradually reintroduced it. Word of warning though, I can now only drink one or two coffees a day without feeling it! You should try and find a yummy alternative to compensate!

3:59 a.m.  
Blogger Sara said...

Hope you are feeling better.

And definitely heed the warnings. While some say cold turkey, I tapered off when I cut out caffeine (although I am back in full force). I would do a decaf/reg mix in my coffee maker and increase the decaf each week.

6:50 a.m.  
Blogger Rachel said...

Hope you feel better soon.

8:22 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home