Monday, April 10, 2006

Book Review


Have any of ya'll read the 'Da Vinci Code' yet? I'm sure you have. I'm always the last one to read the bestsellers. I don't know why. I guess I just don't like doing the same thing as the masses. But my husband bought it. So now I'm reading it. And I can't believe how much I am loving it.
I'm about 3 quarters through it, and I am absolutely fascinated. And not because of the possible religious fallout the book implies. It's all about the art for me.
When I was quite young, in junior high school I think, I started getting interested in subliminal and hidden messages in art. Hidden words, secret images, double meanings, etc. Mostly in the old art, but some in modern art. Even a Rice Crispies commercial where Snap is flipping the bird. By high school, I was using the topic in any project I could. Speeches, book reports, even art projects. Yes, I have a few hidden meanings in some of my own art.
I was obsessed with looking for more. Since I found out that virtually every alcohol ad in a magazine has some strange hidden images, I have not been able to flip through a magazine without looking for them. Look for yourselves. They are usually skulls, demon faces or, um, ahem, phallic symbols. They are not sure why skulls and demons make people want to buy booze, but they've been using the trick for years and years.
Also, there was the whole 'stick it to the man' part of the art world. That's great. I love it. Starving artists would be commissioned to paint some stuck up little brat of an overly rich titled family. So he would. And add a little message somewhere on the painting, making it impossible to see unless you know it's there. Usually a dirty word on the forehead. Then he would tell all of his art friends about it. And OH how they would laugh!
When I went back to school as an adult, I managed to write a paper that included this again. It dealt with messages that were a bit less subtle. It was about how art influenced the industrial revolution. It was actually called 'Art and the Industrial Revolution'. Clever, eh? I thought it was great that artists would use their works as commentary to affect the social consciousness. It's a thoroughly dry and boring paper to anyone that isn't me, but I got a 99% on it. I still have it in my basement, hoping that someday, SOMEDAY, somebody will be fascinated enough to read it. Even my mom thought it was too boring too read, and she's an accountant!
Anyway.....I love this book, The Da Vinci Code. I have to figure out how to finish it today, as well as clean the house, make a birthday ham, bake a birthday cake, go pick up my fixed computer, wrap some presents and have a little birthday party for the little brat.

10 Comments:

Blogger SheCrochets said...

If you are enjoying the Da Vinci Code, DO NOT read Brown's book he published before this one, Angels and Demons. It is the exact same plot, just a different evil organization. I liked the Code enough to try A&D.... and was majorly annoyed. He basically plagiarized himself!!

Ok, sorry. Rant over. Enjoy the rest of the book! :-)

10:30 AM  
Blogger Lucy said...

I have a feeling I'm going to end up reading it as everyone I know as already...even my boss and he rarely reads for enjoyment.
By the way....
Do you put candles on a "birthday ham?"

12:12 PM  
Blogger Tandi said...

That was such a great book. Ic ould not put it down. I heard his other books were pretty good too.

4:35 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

I didn't want to read that book for a long time too cuz there was so much flap about it. However, I was pleasantly surprised that it was such a good read when I finally did read it.

There's an add that runs at the movie theater before the trailers for Coke and my word! That little ad is full of blantant phallic symbols! There are rockets, hot dogs, coke bottles, etc. I was watching the ad with my son and was starting to get embarrassed!! I don't think he picked up on it though, phew!

5:07 PM  
Anonymous Valbee said...

OMG... shecrochets... THANK YOU FOR BEING THE FIRST PERSON TO AGREE WITH ME!!! I *hated* Angels and Demons for all the reasons you stated! I was so disappointed in it. But I've encountered so many people who don't seem to even notice. I'm pretty sure these are the same people who are Danielle Steele fans. And if any Danielle Steele fans are reading this and are offended... well, all I can say is that you need to branch out in your choice of "literature."

I did enjoy The Da Vinci Code, though. :)

5:20 PM  
Blogger Andi said...

Well I bought the book many moons ago but haven't read it. Then like a coo coo I bought the CD version and haven't moved too swiftly on that either. I need to though before the actual movie comes out in May... will I make it??

7:30 PM  
Anonymous cassie-b said...

I read the DaVinci code and loved it. Then I read his other 3 novels. All very good. I liked the last two the best.

8:34 AM  
Blogger celticross17 said...

Great book, did you catch the special on national geographic last night?

6:07 AM  
Blogger Chickity China said...

I read the DaVinci Code and LOVED it. It was a real page-turner. I couldn't put it down. One version of the book (hard cover, obviously) has all of the paintings in it which makes it nice. You can refer back to them as you read.

I loved Angels and Demons every bit as much as DVC. I know it was really similar, but it was still a good read in my opinion. I was always trying to figure out when and where they were going to find the next body.

I'm not going to see the DVC movie though. I'm SO NOT a Tom Hanks fan. That would just totally ruin it for me. I wanted to see the movie so badly until I found out he was the star. Especially Tom Hanks with long hair. That's even harder to think about.

1:21 PM  
Blogger Norma said...

Love it if you wish; just remember it is fiction and remember the intention isn't a good story.

4:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home