Sunday, April 30, 2006

Problem Solving

Let's say you have a bag of chocolate chunk oatmeal cookie mix in which to make cookies. I know, you NEVER use cookie mixes. Or maybe you just never bake. Whatever, go along.

So, let's say that the instructions claim that a half of package, plus one egg and 2 tablespoons of butter, will make 30 cookies. Each cookie will be made by dropping a rounded tablespoon onto the cookie sheet.

And, assuming that a bit of the batter stays in the bowl, and a small amount on the spoon, and a few smidges on your fingers, and maybe your husband walks into the room and eats a teeny bit even though that is against house rules (salmonella! Hello!), and also the egg was of medium size and not large. All in all, that has maybe wasted one to one and half end result cookies.

So why do I only have 24 cookies?

Where did the other four to four and a half cookies go?

These are not big cookies. They are much smaller than storebought cookies. And yet, I have less cookies than claimed on the package.

And that sucks. Hard.

And that, my dear friends, is my little rant for the evening.

8 Comments:

Blogger Vanessa said...

I ALWAYS have that issue whenever I make cookies, whether it be from a mix, from the tubes of premade dough, or from scratch

9:18 p.m.  
Blogger noricum said...

I have never yet made as many cookies as the recipe claims. I think we have a different idea of rounded tablespoons. ...I also like big cookies. ;)

1:17 a.m.  
Anonymous Valbee said...

I'm willing to bet that whoever tests those recipes isn't using the same type of utensil to measure them as you are. They're using something more precise and consistent. And the package probably says something like "yields ABOUT 30 cookies." So, they've given themselves to room to wiggle.

7:49 a.m.  
Blogger Fidget said...

i always have this issue and it drives me batty. During teh holidays i make tins of goodies and it makes me anxious when I put 3 cookies in every tin but the lat 3 hat only get 2 a piece because the damn recipe shorts me!! ARGHHHHHHHH

10:03 a.m.  
Blogger Sue said...

The listed yeild NEVER is the same as the actual! I think the people who write the cookie directions have sampled a little too much raw cookie dough.

12:11 p.m.  
Blogger Kelly said...

Are you sure you didn't eat them, and aren't telling anyone? LOL

Maybe you need bigger eggs next time. :)

9:54 a.m.  
Anonymous cassie-b said...

How much stuck to the bowl, spoon and fingers? And how much is a teeny bit?

I hope they were good.

11:03 a.m.  
Blogger Teri said...

Don't you just hate it when that happens? I sure do!!

3:06 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home