Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Best Laid Plans

What's that they say about the best laid plans of mice and men? What? What's that word? Awry? Yes, that's an adequate word to describe any and all plans made in my house. By men or mice. Or cats and dogs, for that matter.

For instance....on Thursday, I woke up with a great plan. Make coffee, clean a bit, get some computer work done, work on my crochet project that can't be discussed yet but was put on the backburner for too many days, make a pork roast for dinner.

And then I started feeling a little off. You know. When you know you're going to get a cold, but it's just the start so you can still function.

I decided, just to be safe, to have a Plan B. That would be, tidying instead of cleaning, an extra pot of coffee and something simpler for dinner.

Until about 4 PM. That's when the cold hit me. Like a truck. Pulling a train.

So we moved on to Plan C. Aka, Plan Get-yourself-whatever-the-hell-you-want-for-dinner-and-for-GOD's-sake-clean-up-your-mess-I'm-going-to-bed-and-don't-anyone-touch-my-yarn!

And I've had a cold ever since. And as some of my older (and by older I mean better and wiser) readers know, I am SUCH A BIG FAT BABY whenever I get a cold (or any other minor medical 'emergency' for that matter).

But it really, really sucks.

But it's not just dinner plans that go awry. Our summer vacation plans change just about every hour.

The 'Plan' is to drive to Edmonton to visit my family this summer. If you read the last post, you may be wondering why. I occasionally wonder myself. But there are reasons.

My mom owns a river lot that everyone spends their summer at living like hillbillies in the dirt and their quarter million dollar motorhomes. No, seriously. Big, BIG motorhomes. They like to rough it. (CLICK HERE TO SEE WHERE MY INHERITANCE WENT)

Also, my mom is paying.

Plan A was to buy a trailer. Since my mom bought both of my sisters plane tickets to Mexico last winter, and we opted out of that trip, she decided to give us the worth of a plane ticket to put towards a trailer.

Has anyone seen how much trailers are??? More that a damn plane ticket, that's for damn sure.

We (we meaning me, since I'm the cheap one) decided that this was not the year to put that kind of money into a trailer.

Plan B was to use the Mexico money for a MASSIVE tent and bring-your-own-beds and a great big bells and whistles camp kitchen. Then spend the rest on gas.

But we already have a big tent. And a little camp stove. And a great air mattress.

So, Plan C is to buy another smaller tent (for the brats), a little portable BBQ to supplement the camp stove, and to get a BYOB frame for the existing mattress. Then spend the rest on gas.

And that is the current plan.

Not so awry. Yet.

Of course, since my husband is in the army, the actual vacation time is theoretical. And what a nice theory it is.

So, when they yank our holiday time out from under us, I suppose we'll have to move on to Plan D.

Aka, Plan You-all-can-sit-in-this-hot-and-stuffy-house-and-rot-I'm-taking-the-minivan-and-going-yarn-shopping-in-Maine.

4 Comments:

Blogger noricum said...

Let me know if you have time for a coffee and yarn crawl while you're in Winnipeg. ;)

10:49 AM  
Anonymous Valbee said...

I'm with ya on the sick part... I thought I was having a mild asthma attack on Friday afternoon at work. Just a little cough, the kind I get when I dust on a...um...not so regular basis. But it became clear later that evening, as The Boyfriend and I were using our last symphony tickets, and I was popping cough drops every five minutes to keep from interrupting others' musical enjoyment, that this was turning into a full-blown cold.

I hope you're feeling better and I hope the vacation plans work themselves out without making your head spin!

10:50 AM  
Blogger Sue said...

I hope you're feeling better. Colds are nasty things. I like the way your parents rough it. It's just my speed. Driving one of those things must be amazing!

I had entertained notions of doing a road trip with the family in tow until reality hit me between the eyes. The kids are now going to enjoy 3 weeks of summer camp. *sigh* Good luck with your plans.

P.S. You list of "needs" are funny! Mine made me sound like some kind of lame brain!

11:37 AM  
Blogger Lucy said...

I like Plan D myself....hope you feel better!!! (then again you're pretty funny when your sick...just kidding!)

4:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home