Tuesday, May 02, 2006

A Glimpse of My Day

What you may have overheard if you had been loitering at the Canadian Tire service counter yesterday afternoon, shortly after a free brake inspection on my minivan (aka the Loser Cruiser):

(the part of the Canadian Tire goon will be indicated by r and I will be marked with a. Of course. The brat's continued and neverending presence is implied.)

rYou're back brakes are completely seized up.

aReally? Wow. Brat, stop touching that.

rYa. So your front brakes have been going south, too.

aI can imagine. So what are we looking at for cost? Brat. Stop it. No, you can't have your very own tire. Stop it.

rWell, it's quite a bit, but there was a lot of damage. Here's the estimate to get everything fixed.

(shows me an ENORMOUS amount of money, probably coming close to what the vehicle is actually worth)

aWow. That's a lot. It's a bit surprising.

rIs it?

aBrat, stop singing, I'm talking here. Well, yes, it's surprising because the brakes just started squealing a short time ago. I wouldn't have thought that that much damage could be done so quickly. Brat, be quiet!

rWell, ya, but you just spent six months with your windows closed, so you probably didn't hear it sooner.

aI understand, but I'm pretty sure I would have heard the breaks squealing. Afterall, are they not designed to do that as a warning system, so that you get your brakes fixed before too much damage is done?

rWell, yes, but with your windows closed, you probably didn't hear it. She's cute, what's that she's singing?

aMy windows were closed on the way here and I heard them squealing. And I assume, the whole point of the squealing design is so that it can be heard in the winter with the windows closed. Isn't that what it says right on the Canadian Tire website regarding brakes? Ok, Brat, for real, be quiet. Stop singing and stand still. Sorry, she's four. It's like a form of brain damage. The singing is like a warning squeal.

r(belligerently) I can show you the brakes. They are damaged. Do you need to see?

aNo, I believe they need replacing, I was just commenting on how odd it was that the built in warning squeal system didn't work sooner so as to prevent more damage.

rBut your windows were closed. Did she just sing about her lovely lady lumps????

aYou know what, I think I'm going to go somewhere else for a second opinion.....with my windows closed. Yes, dear, your SH is bananas, b-a-n-a-n-a-s. Now please be quiet.

7 Comments:

Blogger Deneen said...

Cute story (except for the enormous amount of money involved). Lady lumps-tee hee.

12:15 p.m.  
Blogger Vanessa said...

I love how "the brats" singing repertoire consists of Black Eyed Peas and Gwen Stefani.
OUCH about the brakes! Cars are so ridiculously expensive to repair and maintain.
Hopefully the second opinion will be better

1:42 p.m.  
Blogger jocelyn said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! Yes, the Patriotic Pincushion pattern in Crochet World was mine. The Country Treasures Column in Crochet World has been mine since 1990! I have been fortunate enough to be able to contribute a pattern to that column for a long time now. I am very happy that you will now be freelancing your own patterns as well! Congratulations and much luck!

4:18 p.m.  
Blogger Karen and Rocky said...

Sorry bout the brakes.
But I love your music!

8:46 p.m.  
Blogger Nichole R. said...

Car repair places suck like that. I laughed my ass off about brat, though. Good luck with it all!

1:23 p.m.  
Blogger Stephknits3 said...

Great story Tara! You are not alone.. Sorry about the brakes. I am completely clueless when it comes to car stuff and I make hubby take care of it.. Doesn't make it cost less though... Good luck! I am going to start singing about lovely lady lumps :)

12:34 p.m.  
Anonymous Valbee said...

Good call on getting the second opinion! What was the outcome, or have you not learned anything yet?

I once took my car in to Midas for brakes. I was told that the right front wheel bearing was bad and needed to be replaced - at the cost of $242 just for the parts. Fortunately, I worked with some guys who said "No way. Your car isn't old enough to have a bad wheel bearing." I followed their advice and told Midas to just fix the brakes. Eleven years later, I've fixed a lot of things on that car, but the right front wheel bearing is still just dandy. And I've never been back to Midas since.

9:02 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home