Thursday, July 20, 2006

The Big Storm


Have you ever seen what it's like when 13,000 people don't have the electricity to make coffee......but ONE Time Horton's does? Chaos. Absolute and utter chaos.

It started monday night. I was working on some new crochet designs (which if all works out I can tell ya'll about in a year or so) and watching The Pink Panther with my kids. It was quiet. No storm.

Then we lost the power.

So, we sat around for awhile, waiting for it to come back on. Unfortunately, four year olds do not have the mental capacity to grasp what a power outage means, and ask CONSTANTLY if they can watch TV until the power comes back on.

After a few hours of sitting and waiting and melting in the heat with no fans, we decided to go into town and see if there was power at the mall. I know, you're not supposed to go out in a blackout, but we live in the country. There's no traffic lights, anyway.

Just after I strapped Little Brat into her booster seat, I went to go inside to find out what was taking Big Brat so long to get her darn pair of shoes. It looked like it might rain in a while, so I didn't want to wait too long to start driving.

That's when I heard it. Yup. Heard it. I looked to the right of my house to see huge rolling black clouds racing towards us as fast as a car. The 50 foot pine trees were spinning. I had seconds.....SECONDS.....to run to car and yank Little Brat out, get back to the house and close the door. It was like right out of the movies. Well, the bad overacting movies, anyway.

Then it hit. Not quite tornado, but definately something twisting. It was like a tornado that just didn't have the ambition to get up to full tornado status.

Now, I'm a prairie gal from Alberta. Tornado warnings are a normal part of the summer there. I've spent many a summer evening sitting in the basement, waiting for the roof to fly away. I've even seen tornados touch down from my basement window. But, I don't think I have EVER seen a storm like the one on Monday night. It was just bizarre. I don't know how else to explain it.

MIA electricity aside, we got off lucky. The screens on my front porch blew out, but I put them back up with a staple gun. Closer to town, there were plenty of hundred year old tress that were completely uprooted.

After one night of no power, and one more storm, I fled to the inlaws in Ottawa. Power finally came back on yesterday morning, so I drove home. There is still a rant coming regarding my conversations with teh power company, but that will be later.

(Read about it in the NEWS)

8 Comments:

Anonymous Wendy said...

WOW, that is scary!

10:57 AM  
Blogger *Crochet Mom* said...

WOW!..that's FKC bucket. i could look at it out my spare bedroom window at my house in pembroke and see it clearly when we lived there!
I was the next side road up from there (away from the water). big square yellowish house on the corner with burgundy shutters.
FREAKY!
(we had a torando hit here last year and took out the houses behind me..i watched it touch down outside my house)

11:22 AM  
Blogger Nichole R. said...

I remember lots of tornados and tornado-esque storms from when i lived in Minnesota- they're pretty scary! Glad that you guys are doing okay.

11:31 AM  
Blogger Christy said...

Thank goodness you all are safe. I can't wait to read the rant!

11:49 AM  
Blogger Brandy said...

I am glad you and the girls are ok. Stay safe....

2:08 PM  
Blogger Fadrah said...

how strange, EXACT same thing happened here in IDAHO (we don't get tornados) a few months ago. Left for work at 7:55 and and no wind at all, at 8:10 my husband was calling me from the basement telling me we had lost 3 70 yr. old pines from the storm from hell and that (as if I couldn't tell from the screaming in the background) the kids didn't like the dark basement and he couldn't find the flashlight.

9:48 PM  
Blogger .:Cris:. said...

Glad you're safe!

12:46 AM  
Blogger She said...

oh my gosh....thatz crazy. I'm moving in a week to a state known for tornadoes, i'm scared to death of this move. I hope I don't have to experience anything like that. First scary storm and I might be on the next bus back to my southern home...ha ha.

BTW thanx for picking me as your renter this week. Much appreciated.

3:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home