Saturday, July 22, 2006

Cleaning Day Tunes

Yes, these are actually our wedding rings
Today is cleaning day.

While my usual choice for ear candy while cleaning is talk radio, I HATE the talk station around here on Saturdays. It's always a paid program where the host talks about the most boring product or service known to man (i.e. investing for retirement, fur storage, jewelry cleaning, banquet hall rental, etc) in which the host acts as if it's the most fascinating news he's heard all year. And all of the callers ask a stupid question, then as if they didn't hear the last 20 calls they ask for the address. BORING.

So, today I looked through my cds. All dozen of them. Five or so were purchases through the years, but I have a few that were either given to me or were compilations from the computer, before I was on dial up and could actually download a song or two. I found the cd I made for the DJ at my wedding. It was to make sure he had access to certain songs that we definitely wanted him to play. I hate when djs have limited song selection.

You'd think someone that hardly listens to music wouldn't care. So, I'm a contradiction. Sue me.


Anyway. Since it's Saturday, and nobody is home on a nice summer Saturday anyway, I thought I'd bore ya'll with the list of songs from my wedding reception. Plus, my big whoppin' 5 year anniversary is in 20 days and hubby might miss it.....again. I'm being maudlin.

First dance song:
There For Me ~ Sarah Brightman
(not only do we love Sarah Brightman for her music, it was also the cd that started us dating. We were hanging at the bar with mutual friends and while we were playing darts he used the line "I got a new cd back at my apartment. Wanna come listen to it?" Which works, by the by. So it was a bit of an inside joke that my family didn't know about. Ha ha.)

Everybody Needs Somebody ~ Blues Brothers
(I think my husband wanted this one, but I can't remember why. Just a good song, I guess)

Hooked On a Feeling ~ Blue Swede
(Just a happy and fun dancing song for me. You know. The dancing baby dance. Don't pretend you don't know)

Lime in the Coconut ~ Harry Nilsson
(Again, great dancing song. Especially for the drunks)

Dancing Queen ~ Sixpence None the Richer
(Dedicated to my sister who HATES being the center of attention, so we dragged her onto the dance floor and had everybody trap her there while dancing around her. It was awesome. She hates me for it, but it was my wedding. I can torture a sibling at my own wedding, can't I?)

Kung Fu Fighting ~ Carl Douglas
(Well, why not?)

Ring of Fire ~ Johnny Cash
(Another request from hubby. I think it's one of his drinking songs)

Minority ~ Eve6
(I HAD to dance and jump around to that song in my wedding dress.)

Into the Mystic ~ Van Morrison
(Just one of my fav all time 'belt it out loud in the car' songs.)

The Wanderer
(Hubby thought this would be funny to play on our wedding day. Hardy har har. What a funny guy.)

As it turns out, drunken wedding dancing songs also work great as sober cleaning songs. Who knew? Ironically, neither one of us got drunk that day.

What did you insist on at your wedding? Or will? How about your first dance song?

6 Comments:

Blogger Red Rocket said...

Well, we married in judge's chambers sans all the wedding hub-bub(wasn't for us, is all), but it is cleaning day here too. And we're mop-bopping to Charles Migus currently.

3:08 PM  
Blogger Red Rocket said...

Charles Mingus....durn typos.

3:21 PM  
Anonymous Bonnie said...

Wow. I would have sworn you stole these from my playlist.

8:00 PM  
Blogger karen said...

I insisted on champagne. Nothing else really mattered.

Is it possible to clean without music?

8:34 PM  
Blogger Nichole R. said...

Well, I can't really think of anything I would demand, but my husband swears he will get a mariachi band and have them play "Take me to the River"- it's one of those horrible songs they sing at funerals and weddings in old spaghetti westerns. Yaaaay.

11:03 AM  
Blogger Sue said...

They Don't Know by Tracy Ullman. We had to supply the song for the DJ since he didn't have it.

For whatever reason, because I'm certainly not a fan, but '80's dance music is great for cleaning day on the ole iPod. I'm not an '80's fan so go figure!

9:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home