Friday, July 28, 2006

I Drew!

First of all, a little background:

I'm not one for false modesty. Never have been. Either I am good at something, or I'm not. For instance, I rock at crochet. Knitting, I suck at. These are just facts. As far as drawing goes...well. I used to rock. A lot. I mean I was gooooood. And I loved it, too.

But then life happened. Kids. Work. Stress. Injuries. Etc. I didn't get a lot of chances to draw. And when I did, it sucked. A lot.

Ya see, the problem is pride. And standards. Based on how great I used to be, my standards were very high. So, when I did try to draw after years with no practice, and it sucked (according to my previous standards) I would get frustrated and stop. My pride was at stake. There was no WAY anyone was ever allowed to see my attempts. Which is why they always ended up in the garbage.

Earlier today, I had a sudden urge. To draw. Not sure why, but I decided to be brave and go with it. I spent a good hour in the basement digging out my old pencils and sketch pad. The spiders had made a nice little neighborhood, but I evicted them. The bastards. Then I locked myself in my room and I drew a picture.

And it SUCKS!

But that's OK! For the first time in 12 years, I have drawn something and not thrown it in the garbage. In fact, I got past the initial drawing stage (which sucked) and kept going into the shading stage (which also sucked). I loved it! The feel of the paper, the dirty fingers, trying to get just the right light in just the right area.

Sigh.

I'm about to show you the drawing (when I am done rambling). Please keep in mind that it sucks, and I know it. So don't tell me it doesn't. I know some of you may want to say 'It's better than I can do." And while I doubt it, that's not the point of showing it. Because it's not better than I can do. I could draw better than this in grade 5. But, showing it to the whole world wide web is a little like therapy. Because I actually completed a drawing and now I need a record of it. So I don't get all scared and prideful and hide in my little scaredy-cat hole where drawing never happens again. I need to practice. Start from the beginning, drawing my hands and shading circles and so on. And I will. Maybe.

Ok, here it is:


Click for bigger view, if you dare.

No compliments. Just be proud of me for showing ya'll.

16 Comments:

Blogger Becky in Iowa :O) said...

I commend you on your bravery. I am of the chickenshit variety. hehe

I must say that the yarn is totally cool. I find drawings of yarn to be facinating. Just the idea behind drawing each individual visual strand is frightening. You did a bang up job of it.

7:53 p.m.  
Anonymous Valbee said...

I'm proud of you. :) Both for having the courage to post it here and for not giving up until it was finished. Big steps. HUGE.

Good job!

8:43 p.m.  
Blogger Christy said...

Completion is something I struggle with too, glad you got through it.

Um, but, yeah....still is better than I could do...sorry couldn't help it. :)

10:00 p.m.  
Blogger Nichole R. said...

OH MY GOD THAT IS HORRID!!!




Okay. Sorry, you said no compliments. So I'm not going to leave you the ones I have. But kudos on being brave!


I hope I didn't break your heart. :)


orcgak. BWAHA!

11:17 p.m.  
Blogger utenzi said...

That looks fine, Tara. This false modesty thing might be going too far, Tara. Admit to your artistic strengths!

As for your comment on my blog, I've always thought the same thing about McConaughey. He always seems like he's trying to sell you used sex toys--but despite that I still liked the movie. I do understand your reaction tho, Tara. (and your drawing looks great--so there!)

12:10 a.m.  
Blogger Wordnerd said...

Yay for you -- doing it and then putting it out there! Awesome!

Visiting from Michele's!

12:21 a.m.  
Blogger Magpie Chick said...

Ohmygosh. You've been rummaging around in my mind, haven't you? You must've been, because I've never heard anyone so accurately describe the fear of returning to drawing. I do the exact freakin' thing: draw, cringe, get teary, toss in trash, rinse, repeat. You've inspired me to put my crochet hook on hiatus and force myself do some drawin' :)

1:57 a.m.  
Blogger Red Rocket said...

It's just like riding a bicycle, I swear. You can't unlearn it, which is obvious from your use of perspective and dimension. Awesome effort!

7:06 p.m.  
Blogger Pam said...

Seriously Tara, that is great. Don't be so hard on yourself.

10:16 p.m.  
Blogger Tandi said...

What are you talking about? I think that's really cool.

11:10 p.m.  
Blogger Gina said...

Very proud..HUGHUG

1:02 p.m.  
Blogger Vik said...

Tara I like it very much!!!

5:07 p.m.  
Blogger karen said...

5 billion times better than I could do.
Give yourself some credit! Sheesh!
Yarn and coffee. And you drew it!
Creativity must never stop.

12:41 a.m.  
Blogger desperate housewife said...

Don't be such a 'tard! That's awesome! I can barely draw a stick figure.

6:54 a.m.  
Blogger aj said...

I totally understand! I'm the same way with my photography -- sometimes I'm on a roll and everything is stunning, and sometimes I suck and I hate them all.

I think it's awesome that you posted it. (And even though you said no compliments, I can't resist.) It's a beautiful drawing. I like the light you chose to sketch. I like the reflections on the mug. I like the almost reverse vignette around the edges.

So yea, girl, I think for not having picked up a pencil and pad in a long time, you were ROCKIN this!

12:47 p.m.  
Blogger ladylinoleum said...

I have to comment on it. It's beautiful and I think you're doing a fab job.

7:09 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home