Tuesday, July 25, 2006

The Moneybag Theory

I've noticed something in my years of living that has led me to form a theory.

I've noticed that the bigger the purse I carry, the more crap I need to carry in it. Conversely, if I don't carry a purse at all, I suddenly don't seem to need 86 pens, a spool of thread, 14 hair elastics, 6 lip balms and a tub of play-doh with me at all times. Just in case.

This also works on basements. I didn't have a basement in my apartment, and my stuff all had places to go. Then we moved to a house with a basement. And the basement filled up. When we were moving to a house with no basement, we had to get rid of the accumulation. Now that we are back in a house with a bigger basement, there is more crap.

Closets, junk drawers and toy boxes also seem to have the same problem. It's just like the Koi fish. They will grow to match the size of their pond. Items will multiply to match the size of their environment.

I've decided to test this theory. Make it work for me.

I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

If you want to test this theory as well, here's the quickie pattern to make your own moneybag:

Materials:

~Small amount of white or off-white, small amount of green, small amount of brown. Worsted or cotton would both work.

~Standard pickle jar (optional)

FRONT

Row 1:

With white or off-white ch 25, 1 hdc in 2nd ch from hook, 1 hdc in each ch until end of row (24) turn.

Row 2,

Ch 1, 1 hdc in each hdc across, turn.

Row 3-24:

Continue as with row two, changing to green according to the chart.

Note* The blue on the chart indicates eyelet holes, not a color change.

Row 25:

Ch 1, 1 hdc in next 2 hdc, ch 1, skip 1 hdc, 1 hdc in each hdc until 3rd last hdc, ch 1, skip 1 hdc, 1 hdc in remaining 2 hdc, turn.

Row 26:

Ch 1, 1 hdc in each hdc and ch 1 space across, turn.

Row 27-28:

Repeat as row 2. Fasten off.

BACK

Repeat steps for the front, but without using the chart or changing colors. Do not fasten off at the end of the last row. Hold both sides together right side facing out and attach together using slip stitches around the sides and bottom of the bag.

TIE

Chain 75 with brown, fasten off. Put through eyelet holes and tie in the front.

Hide loose ends. Tada.

7 Comments:

Blogger aj said...

What a great idea! I'll definitely make one.

And I am in total agreement with your theory.

9:59 AM  
Blogger Brandy said...

That is too cute... I hope it works cause I need to try that one too if it does...lol

10:02 AM  
Blogger Sue said...

I like your thinking!

10:40 AM  
Blogger SheCrochets said...

Great pattern and idea! I have a theory that it will work if you wait long enough. This is based on my change jar, which I have been keeping for about 3 years. About every 6 months I roll the change; right now I have $207 in change rolls at home! So the moneybag could work too... just give it time!

10:41 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

Nice bag! And nice Koi fish metaphor. It's so true.

12:29 PM  
Blogger Nichole R. said...

All I have to say is ....


Bwahahahahahahahaha!!!!

1:22 PM  
Blogger Tandi said...

Funny story about that. I went to lunch with a friend from work who has 4 kids and this gigantenormous purse and she was talking about all the crap she has in there and pulling things out and she pulled out a little ceramic gnome, to which I responded "You do not have a gnome in there" and she said no, she has two and pulled out it's mate. Oh yes she did.

8:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home