Thursday, September 07, 2006

A Haunting



I want to start this post off by reminding everyone what my position is on ghosts.

I would rather be crazy than haunted. Because they make pills for crazy.

That being said.....my house is still SO haunted!!! There's no denying it now. And I'm not the only one who thinks so, anymore. And yes, I know, some of things can be rationalized. In another house. When something odd happens once a year or so.

NOT when things happen ALL THE TIME.

And, it's not like this house doesn't have some history. It's a 100 year old school, which was at one point an underground bar in the 70's. And the (unconfirmed) rumor is that 2 people died here while it was a bar.

So, for you skeptics (of which I was one before living here), I am making a list, in point form, of everything I can remember happening in this house since I moved in. Somewhat in order. It's all blurring together now. Some has been reported here on this blog before, but I won't make ya'll go back a year and half to read it all. And if you read it all and still think I'm crazy, that's OK. As long as you bring the pills to fix crazy.

~ While sleeping on my stomach one night, I felt a very hard, sharp jab in my ribs. It felt like fingers. It hurt. A few months later, we discovered that the exact spot that the jab came from was directly over the original trap door leading up to the attic of the school (now our second floor).

~ Doors that I close get opened. Often my youngest's bedroom door. She insists on having it closed at night because she doesn't like having the cat in her room. Sometimes, she starts yelling in the middle of the night because the cat is sleeping on top of her, even though I check her door before going to bed. And no, the cat can't open doors. He's a cat. Der.

~ Lights flicker sometimes when I am in a room. No, it's not the wiring. It's all new. And it's not the lightbulb. And it doesn't happen when anyone else is in the room. Just me. And they usually start flickering in the bathroom the minute I take off my clothes for a shower. See? Pervert ghost.

~As I was walking from the bathroom to my bedroom in the middle of the night, past the stairs, I heard a creak about halfway down the stairs. So I stopped. And turned to look. I know. That' what you yell at the girl in the horror movie NOT to do. But I did. And something else decided that I shouldn't. I felt a hand push my right shoulder and propel me into my bedroom. Where I proceeded to hide under the covers in terror until morning.

~ I saw a ghost. Yes, I did. Shut up! I did too! She was tall. And blonde. And had a yellow skirt on. She peeked around a corner at me while I was sitting in the living room. It was very fast, but I definitely saw her.

~ I was chatting with the local bookstore owner. We started talking about houses, since we both bought at the same time. When she heard which house was mine, she gasped. Apparently, we scooped her and bid on this house only hours before she planned to. Then she asked me how I liked it. When I joked that it was 'ok, just a little haunted' she gasped again. It seems that when they came to view the house, her daughter wouldn't come in because she saw a man in the window. The house had been empty for a few months at that point.

~ A friend was picking up the mail while we were on our road trip. She walked in the back door one day to drop it off in the kitchen. As soon as she walked in, she saw a man standing by the stairs (almost right where I saw the tall blonde lady). She said he was middle aged and balding, and then he went up the stairs quickly. She followed, because she's apparently CRAZY, but didn't see anything else. She did, however, feel a WHOOSH on the nape of her neck.

~ My oldest has one of those annoying teenager bedroom doorbells. You know, the kind that they think gives them permission to not let anyone into their room unless you ring the doorbell first. And, since I am SUCH an accommodating mom, I make sure everyone, especially my youngest, rings the doorbell as much as humanly possible. Because she asked for it.
The night we got home from out trip, after the kids were all in bed and sleeping, hubby and I were watching TV. I got up to turn off the kitchen and hallway lights. When I was in the hallway where her bedroom is, and nobody else was there with me, the doorbell rang. Just once. And hubby heard it, too. So now he KNOWS there's something weird going on.

Keep in mind that this is just what I can remember at the moment. With only one cup of coffee. And it excludes all the times that I just had a creepy feeling or saw a shadow moving. But I'm not crazy. Much. I swear.

And, no, I won't ask them to go away or leave me alone. One, because they were here before me. Two, because I've been told that while that may help, it could also make it worse. And even though I am far less freaked out now that I was 2 years ago, I am still a big fat ghost chicken.

17 Comments:

Anonymous Valbee said...

Gee and I was going to say that I figured it was the spiders hiding your crochet hooks. But now I'm not so sure...

Seriously, I don't think you're crazy. When you started talking about your daughter's imaginary friend, it intrigued me.

My first instinct would be, if they're not hurting you or your family, let them be. However, I know there are some people (more religious than I) who would say that you're depriving them of being able to move on by letting them be.

An Episcopalian (I tried four times to type that and I think I still screwed it up) friend of mine lives in a house that is well over 100 years old. They had it blessed when they moved in - every room but the basement. That's where they seem to have a presence. It's not malicious at all, in fact, they get the impression it's a child.

If it were me, I'd probably leave it alone, but try to research the history of the building thoroughly to determine who the spirits might be. The more you can find out, the less creeped out you might be by it.

9:58 a.m.  
Blogger Gina said...

agrees with valbee:P

10:30 a.m.  
Blogger Vik said...

I´m without words, I don´t know what to comment (what it´s a tremendous effect in me, who always have something to say!)

10:54 a.m.  
Blogger Christy said...

I'd haul ass outta there! I'm a ghost chicken too. If there was ever a snake ghost, I'd have to be admitted.

11:22 a.m.  
Blogger Jana said...

hey tara, thanks for the post! i love the paranormal. i watch all those ghosty shows on friday nights on W network. anywho.....a house that old and with that much history, how could it not have things rolling around in it? i lived in a haunted house when i was younger, but it was not a friendly ghost....eep. got out of there fast.

11:49 a.m.  
Blogger SheCrochets said...

EGADS! I am a big fat wuss. After one of those creepy events, I would have been running for the hills. And I thought your spider problem was bad.... :-)

12:46 p.m.  
Blogger The Shrone said...

I watch all of those TV shows too about people's houses being haunted. I often wonder about the house I live in (built in 1915) as I have had a lot of 'seeing shadowy figures out of the corner of my eye' but nothing more than that. I do sense someone else here, but then it could be the house has been lived in so much.

I've always had a wish to live in a haunted house--one with neutral or friendly spirits. I have seen how nasty the upset ones can be!

As for clearing the house, there are people (psychics for lack of a better term) who can do that sort of thing. All wayward spirits need to move on (if that is what they are--some can stay behind for a purpose).

1:32 p.m.  
Anonymous aj said...

WHOA!

Oooh I love it! The whole post! Anytime your coffee triggers more of your memory, PLEASE tell more!

Now, on to other things.. As much as I'd love to see a ghost again (and I have, too) I know I'd be scared sh*tless again. There's something so unnatural about it! But fascinating!

1:42 p.m.  
Anonymous Anne said...

I don't think you're crazy, either. I have 3 good ghosts that follow me around, which was fun in college because they would go harass my friend down the hall. One more showed up standing behind me when I was on my webcam. My best friend bought a house with a ghost, and when he moved she went with him - unfortunately she hates me, so lots of weird stories with that one. The 'only' other ghost we had was a bad one, but he's been, shall we say, taken care of. I too would love to hear more stories.

9:34 p.m.  
Blogger Allena said...

oh mand i'm soooo freaked out just reading your post! i love to watch that show on the sci fi channel ghost hunters but it freaks me out...
anyways maybe you could get them to come and inspect your house to see if it's really haunted...

9:58 p.m.  
Blogger Chickity China said...

Ok. So I guess I can forget about sleeping tonight! I thought about not reading the post once I started because I know ghost stories CREEP ME OUT big time, but I couldn't stop reading. So if I do eventually go to sleep I'm gonna have nightmares for sure!

I'm a person that does believe in ghosts (I think!) but the mere thought of a ghost gives me the heebie jeebies instantly. I had goosebumps the whole time I was reading.

There are homes here in my city that have famous ghost stories. They've actually made "Haunted House" t-shirts with a drawing of the house for one of them.

A woman that used to work with my Mom had one living in her house. She would walk by a bedroom on occasion and see someone's form in the bed...under the covers...and the bed would be made in the morning. She had many sightings and was never scared of it at all. Her granddaughter was in a carriage one day and she started to cry. All of a sudden the carriage started to rock as if someone was doing it, and she heard humming. Nobody else was in the room.

And, a friend of mine bought a house once and moved out within a month. She knew a woman died in the house but figured she could deal with that knowledge. One day she and her son were all alone in the house. He ran upstairs asking, "Mom, who is that lady in the game closet downstairs?" She almost fainted and started packing minutes after calling a real estate agent!

Ok. I'm NEVER going to sleep tonight!

11:09 p.m.  
Blogger karen said...

WOw!!!!
See, everyone has a story! And we're not all crazy.
It's still pretty creepy, though. What do your kids think of this?
Are there 'orbs' in any pictures? (Yes, I watch Most Haunted). I've had many experiences, too...TV ringing like a phone while it was off, books flying off shelves.. weird, unexplainable stuff.
This post was so interesting. Keep us posted, k!

12:17 a.m.  
Blogger Rebecca said...

oooooo. on one hand i wanna say 'how cool' on the other 'run!'

my thoughts are, if it's friendly, find out history and help her/them to move on. my house was built in the 40's - but nothing strange has ever happened.

although, my mother-in-law suddenly passed away while my oldest was just 6 months old---- all through his toddler years, he would dream of and talk to his grammy (a name she called herself, which i never said to my son and he was too young to remember!)... i've always thought she somehow watched over him. and,of course, kids are more open to the unexplainable and (in my opinion) it's why they see 'ghosts' or whatever so often....

you absolutely MUST post with any new stories --- fascinating

10:01 a.m.  
Anonymous Bonnie said...

I wish I knew more on the history of my less-than-900-square-foot house. I know that it was built in 1907, a family with 7 children lived here in the 40's, and there was a fire during the 70's.

Although I have several, my strangest ghost story is the kids I heard running back and forth from the front yard to the back yard through the house. I have no kids. It was during the dead of winter when I had my screen doors off (the wood kind with the squeaky hinges) and I kept hearing laughter, running footsteps, squeaky hinges, and slamming screen doors whenever I was in a room not in the path between the two doors.

As long as they are having fun, they can stay.

10:08 a.m.  
Blogger Pam said...

I believe.

1:56 a.m.  
Anonymous Jeanie said...

I love reading your posts! This one was fascinating! I don't think your crazy for believing but I do think your crazy for staying, LMAO! My butt would have been gone the first time I suspected, LOL!

3:45 p.m.  
Anonymous spunky said...

Hi There,

New to your blog -- I love your writing! But okay, haunted house. Been there, seen that. Creepy. Here's my story:
I design costumes for theatre. Years ago, I was working on a production of MacBeth in Westerly, RI. Now, the theatre would put us city folk in various spots in town. As I was friendly with the stage manager, and she was friendly with the groundskeeper of the park in which the play was to be performed, and he and his boyfriend were going to be on holiday for the summer, stage manager and I got to stay in their very cute, old house in the town park. Great.

Now every night we stayed in the house, I would hear the stage manager open her door and thump down the stairs that separated our two rooms and go out the back door of the house. I wondered what the heck she needed to do at 11:30 at night, but stage managers are a curious lot. I assumed she was cleaning up after the set designer.

One weekend, she had a job interview in New York for an upcoming show, so I would be staying in the house alone for a few days. Imagine my surprise when I heard that same door open and close, and the same heavy footsteps going down the stairs, and the same backdoor opening long after the stage manager left for NYC. I get chills even writing about it!

Needless to say, I was happy to play tetris on the computer in my room until I could no longer keep my eyes open, volume turned up so I couldn't hear my ghostly roommate's footfalls....

11:20 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home