Tuesday, September 12, 2006

My Tattoo....I think

I know. I was very elusive in my last post. Just telling ya'll I booked for a tattoo and then left you hanging. Whatever. I'm a Scorpio. I'm supposed to be mysterious. It's written right there in the stars, peeps.

This is gonna sound stupid. I need everyone to promise, before reading any further, that you won't think any less of me after hearing what I say. That you will read the rest of the post before throwing up your hands in utter exasperation and washing your hands of me forever. Promise? For reals? Hold up your right and and say it. Say "I won't think Tara is dumber than a bag of rocks after reading her next comment." Good? Ok.....

I have no idea what my tattoo will look like.

There. I said it. I know. It sounds like some drunk party girl in Vegas going to get a tattoo and not caring what it looks like. And as much fun as that sounds like, that's not the situation. Unfortunatly.

I know WHAT the tattoo is of. A poppy. You know, the flower (there's one in my sidebar). And I know where it's coming from. The Wizard's Den, which is very well respected and has won a ton of awards. My husband got his first tattoo there a billion years ago. And I know that it will only cost 11 bucks. Yup. Cheap.

Are ya'll catching on yet? November 10th? A poppy? Eleven dollars? They are doing 11 dollar poppy tattoos for military members and their wives on the day before Remembrance day (november 11th). Cool, yes?

I thought so. And I though it was PERFECT for my first tattoo. I kept telling hubby that my first one would be a ball of yarn winding all down my leg and around my toes, but he just gave me dirty looks. I was ACTUALLY planning to get a yellow ribbon tied around my ankle. But that would cost a bit more that 11 bucks, and be bigger than a quarter.

The only question I have for myself now is where to put it. My top 2 spots are on my back left shoulder and my front right chest. Actually, my instinct is for the chest, but is has pros and cons.

Pro: It's above the heart, where a poppy should be worn.

Con: I can't really show it off without flashing everyone. Like my kids and mom.

Pro: It might look kinda hot.

Con: It might look slightly elongated as I get older and saggier.

Pro: Who's gonna see my chest when I'm old and saggy?

As for the back, there seems to be only pros.

Pro: My heart is kinda in the middle, right? So who says if it's on my back that it's not above my heart? Right?

Pro: Backs don't sag. Much. Unless you eat a LOT of ice cream and french fries.

Pro: I can show the cashier at the grocery store and my kid's kindergarten class without getting arrested.

I think I may decide the day I get there.

You're all still reading, right? You promised. Good.

Too bad I'm done blabbing now.

12 Comments:

Blogger Donna said...

I have one & only one tat ...on my right ...errmm...chest area. I got it when I was 17 & it has stretched and ...well, it's been hit by gravity let's say. That being said, I LOVE where it is. It's my little "secret" that only gets revealed when & to whom I want. Plus, it's in a place I can easily see myself so, when I feel the need, I can sneak a peek :-)
No matter what, no matter where, you will love it, I promise. It's art & what's there not to love about art?

10:20 PM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

I love the idea.
For my first tattoo I drew it for the tattoo artist so I knew exactly what it would look like.
With my second I went in only knowing that I wanted a shamrock that would somehow have the letter "P" tied in to it (I got it about a month after my Grandpa Pete had passed away and I got my Irish heritage from him).
Other than that, I had no idea what it would look like. When I got there I sat with the artist for a while and we drew it out together.

10:30 PM  
Blogger Becky in Iowa :O) said...

hehehe You goof.

I do like the idea though. A very lasting way to show your love. :O)

11:01 PM  
Blogger Brandy said...

Too cool about the tattoo. I want one of a rose... Too scared to do it though. Congrats on the job too!!

7:59 AM  
Anonymous cassie-b said...

did it hurt?

8:23 AM  
Blogger Robin said...

My back tattoo hurt like a MF, and I am pretty tolerant of pain. Which is not to say I wouldn't do it again, oddly enough. If you have access to "fortified tylenol" or "other stuff you might get ticketed for if you have more than a few ounces", it may be helpful :) Back, neck, hand, foot and ankle tattoos cost more in some places because they are over bony or sensitive areas and whiney ass people like me who pass out about 1.5 minutes into the procedure make it go on FOREVER. Can't say I blame them.

8:33 AM  
Anonymous Tamara said...

My first tattoo was on my back, right between my sholders, just below my neck. My logic was that hey, I want one there, AND I can't see it so I won't be staring at it wondering if I've made a huge mistake. Well, it worked for me and I now have many and I can see all but the first.

The poppy is a great idea, I would get one if they were offering that here.

Happy Wednesday from Michele's meet and greet from a fellow Ontarian.

8:54 AM  
Blogger Nichole R. said...

I think you should go for the chest area. I've had mine there a while, and it's high enough that it hasn't gotten saggy, even through being knocked up and nursing. And I can show it off without exposing myself. I currently have 9 tattoos, be careful, they're addicting!

11:04 AM  
Blogger Lucy said...

I'm getting mine on December 9, my 50th birthday....you'll have to let me know if it hurt!

11:49 AM  
Blogger Jana said...

my vote is for the chest. seems very appropriate to put a poppy there:) good job tara!

4:56 PM  
Blogger Darlene said...

ooh, watch out - I got my 1st tattoo on my 27th birthday. I just wanted one. that's it. I'm now 38 and I have 6. I'm married to a man who is "clean-skinned" (that's lingo for no tattoos)....so addictive. But I have my mind on just one more....

11:24 PM  
Blogger sleepycat said...

I have one on my ankle and one on my back. The one on the back hurt most when he was working directly over the spine and near the shoulder blades. I do love it but I tend to forget it's there because I can't see it without a mirror. If it's something you want to see and remember go for the front. Plus it should hurt less because you're, well, padded, there. :-)

5:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home