Sunday, September 03, 2006

The Trip: The Drive There


We started out on a Monday evening. Normally, I would choose to leave at about 3 am, but hubby's work decided not to give him a leave pass until 3:30 pm. And we still had to pack up the van.

As far as road trips go, it was fairly uneventful. The only real drama was when Little Brat told me that she didn't want to bring her 'friend' Diego on the trip with us. She was mad at him. What could an imaginary friend do to upset her enough to not want him on the trip?

Why, he shot her horse.

The bastard. Somehow, Diego found his way into the car anyway, because she kept telling him things. I think they were about me.

We slept in truck stop and Walmart parking lots, stopping for gas and Tim Horton's when we could. The Northern route through Ontario (aka The Eleven) is rather, um, bare. Not bare like Saskatchewan bare, but not much to see, really. Although, we did see a wolf and a bear. No moose, though. Signs everywhere warning us of moose, and not one single moose.

I didn't sleep much in the car. Not like the rest of those lazy lumps I call my family. The kids are, well, kids. They don't always need beds. And hubby is army. They can sleep on an airplane runway. And he has. Whenever I was wide awake, I just kept driving.

It was a relief to finally reach Manitoba. Until I remembered what the Manitoba roads are like. I lived there a LONG LONG time ago. The roads are so bumpy, you can be in the back of a moving van and know when you crossed the Ontario-Manitoba border. Come on Manitoba, you know it's true. And whatever happened to the Orbits? You Winnipeggers know what I mean.

Saskatchewan was just as flat and boring as ever, although with a newfound obsession for the TV show Corner Gas.

Alberta didn't come soon enough.

But you'll hear more about it later. Right now, I have to catch up on laundry. Ya, laundry. Heaps and mounds of it. I suppose my days of empty laundry rooms are over.

6 Comments:

Blogger Christy said...

I am so glad you are back Tara! I can't wait to hear about your trip! How long of a drive was it to where you went?

12:37 PM  
Blogger Vik said...

Is it a typing error or is it true that you would have prefer to go at 3 AM? ;) Love reading about your trip!

1:50 PM  
Blogger noricum said...

Hey... yeah... I haven't seen orbits in ages!

9:46 AM  
Blogger CyberCelt said...

Thank you for renting your blog space to me. I appreciate it.

7:24 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

Oh yes, the mountain of laundry after vacation where you swear you didn't pack this much! I look forward to the next installment.

8:29 PM  
Anonymous cassie-b said...

I'm glad you made it home safely.
Cas
I'm looking forward to hearing about your adventure.

7:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home