Friday, November 03, 2006

NaBloPoMo Post 3 ~ Inspirational Message?

I'm not sure what bug flew up our butts, but MAN do we ever look pissed. That's me on the left. It seems that, at that point, I was still taller than Sister3. I don't recall that. I thought that I was always the shortest. Ironic, since I am also the oldest. And, while that cheers up my day somewhat, I also need to remember that I am the shortest now. And that with the ever advancing years, I will probably continue to get shorter.

I think I will use this opportunity to tell ya'll why I am OK with being short. It's a very moving and inspirational story, so you may want to grab a hanky now. I'll wait......

So, it all started in Kindergarten. Our backyard gate was right by the crosswalk that we used to walk to school. And there was always a crossing guard there. The guards were always fellow students from our school.

And I worshipped them. I wanted to BE a crossing guard.

But, the rule was that a student needed to be in at least grade 5 to be a guard. So I waited. All through kindergarten, grade 1, 2, 3.....well, you get the point. I showed a tremendous amount of patience for a kid that age. Or a grown-up, for that matter.

Then the big day came. I was in grade 5. The announcements that morning said that if any grade fives wanted to be crossing guards, to meet in a certain classroom at lunchtime. I was so excited. All of my dreams and ambitions were finally within reach.

As I walked through the doorway of that classroom at lunchtime, the teacher in charge of the guards took one look at me and said, "You can't be a crossing guard. You're TOO SHORT."

I was crushed. CRUSHED.

But I'll tell ya'll something. I have never, EVER, been too short for anything else I've wanted since then. I won't allow it. It's not a disease, and it's not crippling. It's just a feature. I'm short, not incapable. And that's why man invented step stools. And also why I (allegedly) married a tall man. (Well, he has other features, too.) (Allegedly.)

Besides....I'm cute as a button.

So, there ya go. Very inspiring, yes? Feel free to use it as a bedtime story for your kids if they are stumpy like me. I mean, er, undertall.

5 Comments:

Blogger Domestic Goddess said...

I am glad you have come to terms with being vertically challenged.

10:38 AM  
Anonymous Valbee said...

I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum, which can have both advantages and disadvantages, mostly related to clothing and men. Tall women like me have never known the joy of slow dancing with our boyfriends/husbands and being able to rest our heads on their chests. *sigh*

But in later years, I've come to love my tallness and I even love to wear heels. It's a great way to conceal the gray hairs that are most visible at the top of my head. ;)

I'm proud to say that I have managed to correctly identify you in all three pictures so far.

12:16 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Valbee, I was thinking the same thing! I've just come to terms with being able to see over all my dates' heads.

Oh well, at least I can always tell when the top of the fridge needs cleaning ;)

11:11 PM  
Blogger Brandy said...

Cute pic of you and your sisters. Short is good. My kids are going to end up being taller than me.

11:31 PM  
Blogger utenzi said...

You're so right. In my book, Tara, short and cute go together. I only get interested in short women. Umm. Short single women, that is.

11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home